Engine & Gearbox Aha, that occaional grinding noise

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by hsyasin, Friday 20th Dec, 2013.

1. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Hammad Bury St. Edmunds
    Hey all,
    So I've been searching throughout the internet on that grinding noise that I have once in a blue moon and for the symptoms that I had. As u guys might remember I posted a thread about that and was suggested to change gear oil, however that wasn't the problem, but it did make a huge difference in gears making them really smooth, thanks everyone for making me do that:Thumbup:
    Now what happened was, I was driving around london with a friend of mine, and the car made that grinding noise again, and he gave me an idea, he said it could be some sort of clutch bearing. And I said aha, thats what it could be, coz whenever the car made this grinding noise, only when put into 1st gear from dead start, the car didn't seem like its losing power or slipping in first gear. So, now there i was, on Google with my thinking cap on:Search:
    And finally i started finding loads of forums describing the same problem as I was having, even found a thread on some accord forum somewhere with a bloke who had this acura with 27k miles on and started making similar noise from dead start, and what he was suggested was, it could be a "Throw out bearing":Blink:.
    So guys, has anyone had any experience like that or had it fixed, and as far as I read, its not a big deal if this comes and goes, I even read someone having this noise changing into any gear.
    Does anyone know how much a throwout bearing cost for an accord and how difficult it is to change one?:Unknown:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    have a look at this thread this is a common issue on the 7thgen Accords and I can see this happening on the 8th Generation petrol too. http://hondakarma.com/threads/7514/

if you want that noise gone the only way is to remove the gearbox and replace it , whilst you are there replace the clutch and pressure plates too.

Good to hear your gear shifts are slick now.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  3. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Hammad Bury St. Edmunds
    cheers CJ :Hey:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    NP bud, the noise will be progressivle worse but the bearing won't fail but in a year or two you may want to get the entire clutch kit changed.