Intake System Air box mod vs. Induction kit

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Jables667, Monday 6th Jun, 2016.

1. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Hello everyone! I am back from hiatus after a tremendously hectic few months. My beastie is still running wonderfully and he's just been treated to a wash and wax.

Today, apropos of nothing, I decided to have a fiddle under the bonnet to sort out a few minor issues that have been driving me mad. No pun intended. Struggling enormously with anxiety, panic attacks and all that nasty stuff at the moment and tinkering with the car really seems to help. Anyway, the minor issues were the belt pulleys needing a little grease (the chirping noise was infuriating) and the bumper clips needing replacing, so that's all sorted now.

The meat of my query is this, and I apologise for beating a dead horse with this topic. I took my air box apart and cleaned the filter (after which the car's throttle response got noticeably better). I've been considering an induction kit ever since I had my first Accord as I do like a snappy throttle and, as childish as it sounds, I love the noise. I've also done a little reading on air box modification, which is - for anyone that is unfamiliar with this mod - drilling several holes in the bottom of the air box that houses the filter element, achieving a similar result to fitting an induction kit, which I believe I read on here some time ago.
    Essentially, I'd like your opinions as Accord owners regarding the potential benefits or detriments of each option. I'm in a financial position to afford a relatively decent kit, so I'm not looking to cheap out. I'm just curious as to whether the cost justifies the benefits over something I could do for nothing in half an hour. And can easily conceal...

I'm mostly interested in how each will affect the intake of hot air from the engine bay and how that will impact performance, economy, operational lifespan etc.

For reference, I snapped a picture of my engine bay with air box disassembled. Excuse the dirtiness of it... I haven't yet gotten around to cleaning it and she's got a real thirst for oil at the moment. No need to worry about that, though. I have it under control and she's booked in to have the filter and oil changed, as well as the cam belt which is long overdue.

20160606_134446.

Many thanks in advance, folks!

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Other than for the noise and perhaps the smallest of HP gains unless you di other mods then a good quality CAI would be OK but forget about an SRI as the heat soak will take away a fair bit of power. I tried an SRI with my 6th Generation and took it straight back out an hour later.

stuscrv likes this.
  3. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi man,
    Agree with Arcticfire: it's a waste of money. The standard filter and air path is of high quality.
    I do have some 'thoughts' about cleaning the air filter: if it's an original Honda one, you are NOT ought to clean this at all. You can damage it or make it less efficient. How did you clean this?
    I know there are some aftermarket filters that can be cleaned.

4. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    If I understand you right, I'd be better off improving my cold air intake by making it less restrictive compared to fitting a ram? I do apologise, I'm fairly unfamiliar with which parts are which, like which constitutes a CAI (I assume that's what I already have fitted) and a SRI. I'm the worst kind of tinkerer with a mechanical engineering background. Just take it apart, figure it out and put it back together again. Though if I am understanding you correctly, that's definitely cleared it up for me. Many thanks. I'm not hugely bothered about increasing performance. It's plenty powerful enough for my purposes, just a bit sluggish on the throttle sometimes.

Ah, I didn't know this, so thank you very much for telling me! I left the filter element itself alone since it actually looks quite new, like it's been recently replaced. It had a few bits of grit on it which shook off, but the majority of the cleaning was the box itself. Used a moderately stiff brush to loosen the dried dirt and dust and grit and then one of those 12V vacuums that runs off the accessory socket. Anything left after that I dabbed up with a dusting cloth.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    A CAI will replace the whole intake system from the lower grill to the airbox and therefore won't suffer heat soak as it should be fully sealed like the OEM one. A Short Ram Intake only replaces the air box and is open and exposed inside the engine bay and being naturally aspirated the flow rate isn't fast enough to prevent the hot air in the engine bay from being mixed in so it will suck in the horrible hot engine heat and because hot air is less dense than cold you end up getting less air into the whole combustion process and ergo less fuel mixed in and consequently less power.

An SRI is OK to a certain extent for turbo charged engines because there is an intercooler to help cool the air due the the turbo compression process heating the air up anyway, however, if the air coming in is hot in the first place then it will make the turbo work harder and reach its peak RPM faster so you can still end up losing power.

Although the SRI made the right noise it just felt silly because the acceleration wasn't there to match the noise.

Last edited: Thursday 9th Jun, 2016
  6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    His my thoughts...

Avoid short ram for the plague, it justs one big hoover for sucking hot air in and making car run lumpy, you also have to declare it as a mod and pay extra for the privilege of having less performance.

Proper CAI is the best option, but you still have to declare it to your insurers.

Drilling holes in airbox, works great and you get the noise, improves throttle response, can get a little heatsoak in warmer days which can makes things sluggish, just drill holes on the back and left side and not right.

Remove resonator, you can remove that large resonator behind the bumper this will give you the noise two, above both arent really 'mods'.

7. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Ah, thank you. When it comes to this stuff, I need the large print version with pictures. You've explained it perfectly, so thank you. I'm pretty familiar with the principles of mechanics and physics due to my engineering degree, and combustion is very much an area of interest. Because come on... Who doesn't like explosions. But again, you've explained it beautifully and I hope you don't mind if I save your replies for my own notes to refer to in future.

Not really looked into a turbo at this stage, given how expensive it is and how little I really need one. Perhaps it'd be something to consider after the engine swap? It's a pipe dream set for a much later date (and after a LOT more research), but I eventually want two donor Accords to supplement my current one. First an Accord SE Executive to steal the interior and any other ancillary bits and pieces that might improve the car, and secondly an Accord Coupe for the engine and gearbox. But as I say, I need to do a lot more research and actually raise some money before I even consider any of this.

Thanks man. As always, you're a tremendous help. So, endgame I'll be wanting a full CAI but for now, modding the air box should be fine? I'll put my mind to the heat soaking problem, but it doesn't strike me as a huge one for my car. I don't tend to race it, I just like having a snappier throttle response for overtaking and the noise for the occasional downshift whenever I see a Prius. Excellent idea to drill in the left and back, though. I hadn't considered that, so thank you.

Though I am curious about the resonator. Would that be the black tube that pokes up in front of the air box? Again, I am a simpleton and require the pop-up Hayne's manual.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Just to clarify what an entire CAI system is, I did a quick eBay search so I know what I'm looking for eventually. Ignoring the fact that this is the wrong one for my car and all that, I assume it would look something like this?

s-l1600.

exec likes this.
  8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Yep modding it should do what you want, just remember to drill the bottom section :Tongue: heatsoak can make it sluggish so something to be wary, but not a major issue, we hardly get any proper warm weather in this country anyway lol.

The resonator is the big oddly shape box thing behind the bumper and that submarine like pope that sticks out is connect to it, you could remove that and rpelace with straight piping, this might be worth trying before drilling holes, one of the main objective of that box is to quieten/resonate the sound.

and yeh a CAI usually looks like that, ppip that goesall the way down to somewhere in the bottom with a cone filter attached and it sucks in fresh cold air, but downside is be careful of driving on puddles etc as otherwise it will suck the water in and flood the engine.

aem_cold_air_intake_related_1.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Reducing noise is a secondary function of the resonator I believe. It's primary function is to do with airflow and helps it with a stock airbox, I can't remember the specifics but it should be easy enough to Google. Not sure how it would effect things if drilling holes in the airbox though.

As for turbocharging it, I would be more inclined to supercharge instead as it should be less complicated and probably more reliable but you would need to upgrade lots if doing this to cope with the extra power including exhaust system, intake system, suspension, brakes and the ECU mapping just to name a few! Possibly even things like the fuel pump etc.

exec likes this.
  10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I thought it was restrictive by nature inregards to airflow, drilling holes in airbox probably takes away that vacuum effect, but it makes no difference and actually makes throttle response better, but who knows maybe it takes away like 1bhp.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Also resonator probably helps stop a lot of large debris going in, like leaves etc.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think when air goes into the airbox there's something which happens and the airflow gets effected, swirls backwards or something which the resonator sorts out but I can't remember the specifics. Worth looking up though as I could be wrong.

12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Oh I faintly recall something like that too, I think its to do with turbulence, the resonator sorts out.

13. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Thank you all so much for your imparted wisdom. Don't mind me while I sit here and take notes. It's definitely fascinating if nothing else!

exec likes this.
  14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Turbulence! That's the word I was searching for in my head! The word Vortex kept getting in the way but I think that's for liquids?

exec likes this.
  15. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    No no, you're on point. Turbulence refers to any fluid state of matter i.e liquids and gases in an unstable motion despite its current. Or something like that. My physics, while good, may be a little rusty.

exec likes this.
  16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Turbulence is also in relation to air, when airflow is unsteady, like you get on a plane, the resonator should smooth out the airflow to prevent turbulence.

17. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

How do you remove the resonator box? I tried a few weeks ago but removed the bolts but then i could remove it because somet was stopping it at the back od the box and i didnt want rip it out incase of an extra bolt, was gona have another go tomorrow if theres any help?? Thanks

18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    exec likes this.
  19. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So its best left in then?

20. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Seems to be the case. I'm not sure about when installing a CAI though, I'd assume you remove it due to the different design of the CAI?