HVAC Air con condensor

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by tonygw, Thursday 17th Mar, 2016.

1. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys
    So my car was in Honda yesterday for the airbag recall. all done. They were kind enough ;-) to give my car a full health check (to see what work that could find LOL) But she's pretty much got a clean bill of health, not bad for a 12 year old.

Anyway the aircon doesn't work (I knew that) and according to their health check list the condenser is in "Poor" condition.

So I am guessing it needs to be replaced.
    Anybody tell me if this is a big job or not and what I need to remove to access it and remove it?
    I guess I need to get the system vacuumed out before I release the pipes to the condenser, to ensure no nasty gas escapes.

I haven't had chance to lift the bonnet yet but am hoping its a job I can do myself and then go to get the system re-gassed? Any advice on this job welcomed.

Thanks
    Tony

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Going from memory only, I think if you remove the radiator (which is straight forward), accessing the condenser should be easy.

3. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ah great thanks for that.
    Guess its a good time to renew the coolant then in that case.

4. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    On my car the condenser is in front of the rad.
    It's a bumper off job to get to it.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Actually, yes, thinking about it that will probably be a better approach, save you having to dump the radiator coolant and refill afterwards.

6. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

ah right, wasn't really looking forward to dumping the coolant but if it was needed I would.

So I need to look at getting the front bumper off.
    Had the back one off before so why not have a go at the front.

Once the fronts bumper is off is it pretty easy access then or is there more to it?
    Cheers

7. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    I'm not 100% but I think it's just bolted in.
    When I had my new coolent rad fitted they didn't have to touch the air con condenser.

8. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

splendid.
    shouldn't be to bad a job then, famous last words lol

9. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Think I might have one still in the box that I got for my last car.

Last edited: Thursday 17th Mar, 2016
  10. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    About 4 years ago I changed the condenser in my Accord (CM2). A perished condenser makes the aircon very inefficient, similar affect as with not having enough gas in the system.

I bought the condenser from Unipart for £70

When you've taken the bumper off (easy but fiddly, make a note of where each trim-clip goes, the clips are different lengths) it's very easy to remove the condenser, it is in front of the radiator, held at the top by two small brackets. When the brackets are removed and the pipes undone, it lifts out.

I took it to Halfords to get them to remove the gas, then took it back to refill. IIRC it was about the same price as the condenser.

Saved me at least £350 compared with the dealer quote (and I think the condenser from a dealer is around £350)

SpeedyGee likes this.