HVAC Air Con Even experts make mistakes!!

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by aveton gifford, Sunday 28th Jun, 2015.

1. aveton gifford Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Aveton cornwall
    Last week I had the air con looked at as it has never worked since we bought the car, after the car had been in the workshop with the nitrogen in it, we couldn't see any real drop in pressure, but after gassing it turned out the low pressure Shrader valve had been cross threaded, and had probably been like it since leaving the factory (the car was a lease car originally, and from experience I know they only get the bare minimum of maintenance!!) so now the car has nice cold air entering it.

Anyway, to the possible problem, I noticed last night while driving in the dark, when the compressor kicks in you can see the headlights dim for a split second, so is this normal please ??

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I used to have a Toyota Avensis which whenever I turned the wheel at night anything more substantial than changing lanes, the headlights would dim. It was the battery which was not strong enough to sustain the power requirements for the car so the steering pump would push it over the edge and the lights would dim as a result. Alternator pushed out more than enough current, but the battery couldn't hold it.

Its a momentary power drop causing your headlights to dim like that, how old is your battery?

aveton gifford likes this.
  3. aveton gifford Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Last week I took my Accord into work so that the Air con could be looked at by one of our expert technicians, he took it into the workshop and hooked it up to a bottle of nitrogen and pressurised the system to check for leaks, and after several hours the pressure had dropped by around 1psi, which he put down to the fact that the seals had probably dried out, so he decided to re-gas the system.

As there was no leak dye in the system, he filled it with some along with the correct amount of oil and refrigerant, however, after finishing he could hear a slight hissing noise, and upon closer inspection the low pressure Shrader valve was leaking.

Excellent, he thought, that must be the leak!

So he got his valve removal tool and tightened it up

Only it wasn't loose, it had been cross threaded, and when he tried to tighten it, it shot out and across the workshop!

Panicking, he put his gloved hand over the valve, and let out cry for help, and another tech came over just as his glove started to get cold, making him let go and covering both of them in oil and luminous green leak detecting dye, along with my cars engine and roof!!

Sadly I wasn't there to see all this unfold, but I did wonder why my car had been washed and the engine steam cleaned!!

So you see, even experts make mistakes!:facepalm:

Nighthawk likes this.
  4. aveton gifford Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don't know to be honest, it looks quit new, but it came with the car, I will have to check it. It's only the compressor that causes it, everything else can be switched on and off without any dimming at all.

5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    As its only for a moment when the extra load is put on the system, pulling the current and momentarily dipping the lights, I wouldn't worry about it myself. Its a sudden power pull on the system and it takes a second for it to recover from it. If the battery was really old, id change it, if it isnt, Id leave it.

I reckon its fine but I am sure others will correct me if I am wrong

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    So some bight spark prior to this regas had cross threaded the valve , so this guy won't have known that so it not his fault.

It would never have been at the factory it won't have lasted that long,

7. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I get a dip in my headlights when the air con comes on at night, I thought the same as you at first, but I guess this is normal, and mine has a brand new Honda battery fitted, thanks to HH.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That's is quite normal Harvey the dip on the 7th Generation is quite big, I haven't come across that in my 8th Generation with HID's thou.

aveton gifford and Harvey like this.
  9. aveton gifford Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks chaps, I tested the alternator and battery last weekend and they are both fine, so I guess it is normal:Niceone:

The tech at work is still getting ribbed about his air-con skills :Grin:
    - - - Updated - - -
    I doubt that HID's would do it, as they always have some energy stored in them, meaning a momentary drop in power probably won't register:Wink:
    - - - Updated - - -
    Talking about the air-con, doesn't it get cold!! the wife actually complained the other day that she had to turn it up because her hand was getting so cold on the steering wheel!! I must say, it's the coldest air-con I have ever had, in this country at least.

Harvey and Ichiban like this.
  10. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's great when the air con works. This is the first car I have had that has had aircon and I must say it's great when it's stonking hot and your nice and cool in the car.

11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    My only gripe with the air con is the noise it makes, the slight vibration and sucking a bit of the power, otherwise its great, mine doesnt blow as cold as before so will be taking it in to Kwik fit for a regas.

aveton gifford and Harvey like this.
  12. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    My recent regas lasted exactly one week...

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    You have a leak?

14. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Yep. The 7th Generation has a fantastic built-in diagnostics programme that let you read all sensors associated with the HVAC system. Just after refilling, the system pressure (running) was 14MPa but it was only reading 4MPa on Sunday when I realised it had stopped working. Accordingly, the evaporator outlet air temperature (which had been 3 degrees) has risen to 21 degrees!

I had a regas that included a UV dye, so it should hopefully be easy to find the leak location. I'd have already done this if I hadn't discovered that the end of my UV illuminator hadn't been smashed which also broke the tube! A little 'UV' LED torch for security marking of household items was useless in this regard (not really UV and its illumination extended only about 1cm), so I'm just waiting for a 230V BC 20W 'true UV' (365nm) lamp to be delivered that will fit into my lead light...

15. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Neat, glad you can sort it.

16. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

whats the state of your condensor and receiver dryer like, as I assume its the original condensor, might have half the fins missing, thats why its not cold.

17. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Last time I looked it was dirty but didnt notice any fins missing, might need to inspect it. Mine does blow fairly cold at full power, but obviously not working 100% the way it should. i'm hoping a regas would sort it, kwik fit have a refund policy if the air con stops blowing cold so going to try that out first.

Harvey likes this.
  18. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You can get this stuff from from air conditioning and refrigeration places, for cleaning condensers. It's about 8 quid IIRC.

exec likes this.
  19. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Something else I noticed when running the air con system, why does the brake pedal go down an inch when its on?

20. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It shouldn't do, the ac has nothing to do with the brake system, unless you have a vacuum leak between the servo and engine, that when the ac causes the idle to drop slightly affects the amount of vacuum held on the servo.

exec likes this.