HVAC Air Con Not Running

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by nauest, Friday 16th Sep, 2016.

1. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    My Air con gave up yesterday. It wen't from being great, icy cold, to not working at all. Running warm with no Compressor engagement or rad fans working.

This is what I know so far:

- The Compressor is working
    - The Compressor Clutch is working (Can manually start it by hotwiring to battery)
    - All of the related relays work
    - The System does appear to have gas (Runs cold when manually overidden)
    - The system kicks in for about one second when I disconnect the Pressure Sensor
    - The Rad Fans work

The whole system can be engaged manually (By hotwiring) and blows icy cold, but won't go on under command from the car.

I wonder if I either have a faulty pressure sensor, or low gas causing the sensor to disconnect. Also possibly something I don't know.

Does anyone know how to bypass the sensor for testing(Its the 3 pin N22A type)? Any other suggestions?

Cheers!

2. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    there's a built-in diagnostic system in the 7th Generation Accord (and also in the 8th Generation, but it is slightly different)

here are the instructions

106455_sea3e50k71100000000bbat00_4-.90014.

The diesel has a 10th sensor, which is the gas pressure in Bar, it should read between 10 and 20 when the system is running. Go into the diagnostic and check the readings on the 10th sensor.

nauest likes this.
  3. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Ok its showing Er so it could be a connection issue. Thanks!

jimjams likes this.
  4. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    that was quick :Wink:

5. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    I like my AirCon, its a priority one issue this :Tongue:

6. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Ok so I have found out that you can put the HVAC system into self diagnostic mode and it give you an error code. Mine is showing the code for 'A/C Pressure Sensor Short Circuit' so I think that confirms the idea that the sensor is faulty. I will buy a new one and get an A/C garage to fit it and regas. Will report back!

SpeedyGee likes this.
  7. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    OK so I got the new sensor today, plugged it in (Without being attached to the A/C system) I am now able to read the Aircon Pressure from the HVAC as 00 and both of the HVAC error codes have gone away!

I will take it to a AirCon Garage tomorrow to get the gas taken out, the sensor plumbed in and re-gassesd.

1475093929251-1402451470.

8. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Organised for an automatic Aircon servicing machine, got the new sensor in and will regas up to Honda spec (450 to 500 grams) with new oil. Only had 137 grams of refrigerant in to start with so hopefully have noticable improved performance also!

Fingers crossed will report back soon.

DSC_0940.JPG

9. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Now achieving an ouput air temperature of as low as 3 degrees. I would call that fixed!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Just to note the actual gassing was carried out by a fully F gas accredited technician.

Zebster and Ichiban like this.
  10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good to hear it's sorted