HVAC Air Conditioning not working?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by BSR67, Saturday 4th May, 2013.

1. BSR67 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chaps

Was down south in the Accord I-CDTI Sports Tourer (07) the week before last. At 21 degrees externally it was obvious that the air con wasn't working. I placed it onto 'Lo' and it never got 'air con' cold, and stayed an re-circ for ever. I got increasingly warm and went for the window down option!

Took it to my local garage on Thursday. It was down on gas so he topped it up. But, although it is now colder on 'Lo', he advised that the compressor isn't kicking in. It turns freely, but the system is not triggering it. His advice was take it to Honda, get them to diagnose it, then return it for repairs.

Any suggestions for a simple fix, or a better diagnosis?

Thanks
    bsr67

2. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Advice for a better diagnose? Not that difficult: go to a Honda dealer. They know how to read all the airco parameters and errors (if any) on the display of the car. Will take a few minutes...
    You don't even need a diagnostic tool to do this.
    If you go back afterwards to the other guy, that's your choice, but probably not the best option if he is unable to diagnose an aircosystem in the first place.
    A simple fix? That depends on the diagnose. In the best case your pollenfilter looks a dirty as possible. Worst case: the compressor is broken and the hoses and pipes are full of debris and need to be cleaned.
    Can you hear the airco compressor kicking in and does the fan come on? Might be electrical problem also with an easy fix.

3. Caius Liu Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i have the same prob on a 2003 2.4 i-VTEC hopefully i will have honda check it out next week. the guys at kwikfit regased the car for free and because it wasnt working they didn't charge me :Smile:

4. benjamin.boy.1986 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Can you post what Honda found as I have similar issue

5. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi all,
    If the system is low on gas, the chance is high there's a leak.
    And if it still doesn't work after refill, it means the leak is big... or there's a combination of 2 errors.
    If you say you have the same issues, than know that any broken airco system has more or less the same symptoms. Compressor broken, compressor nog kicking in, a leak, broken sensors, broken valve steering to guide the air, cludged filter, broken fan, etc.... it all results (9 out of 10 times) in the same thing: no (or minimal) cold air, even when on 'low'.
    Don't just presume it's all the same root cause. Before doing anything, let your system diagnose by a Honda dealer who knows what he's doing.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ben have you also had regas at KF? Can both of you advise where you told what type of regas was this ? on the vacuum run how much was drawn out and on fillup how many grams of refrigerant was used? The whole process takes over 45 minutes anything less you know its a useless aircon service.:Wink:

How much of the vacuum gas is recovered will give you an indication how healthy the unit was. I have my aircon yearly topped up and it recovers around 290 grams and on fill it to the brim of 550 grams . You can see how much is lost on a perfectly working aircon system people who use the aircon more will face lesser issues.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Relay will be the first step here bud. get it swapped for a known good one to see if the clutch engages.

8. Caius Liu Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok I've been to see the people at Honda today and the result is I have a faulty compressor clutch :Frown: and they would like to relieve of 600 quid to fix and replace this is there a cheaper way to get this done or anything I can do to see if it can be fixed

9. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    There's 2 things: parts price and labour time.
    - Labour time: you can decide to replace yourself. But if they install it for 100 quid, don't bother and let them do it.
    - Parts price + labour time: buy a second hand clutch. But it will take you some time in searching, disassembly of the donor cars clutch, etc...
    What do you mean with 'see it can be fixed'?
    If you do not even feel sure they made the correct diagnose, than for sure, let them replace it. It's their responsibility if it doesn't work after their diagnose.

10. Caius Liu Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What I mean is, is there a cheaper way to fix, as I don't want to pay 600 to get it done.

Anyway I've decided to buy the parts and do it myself with a mate, is there any difference between a 2.0ltr and 2.4ltr compressor?

11. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Ime pretty sure there the same. Bare in mind the clutch has a specific clearance and you will need to shim it up. Otherwise the clutch won't engage or it will burn itself out rather quickly. not the best of DIY jobs. Who is evacuating the gas for you so you can take the compressor off? I take it you plan to just let the gas out to atmosphere. Naughty naughty! You need to get it de-gassed and then re-gassed once your done. It starts to make sense why you were being charged so much when you look at it this way dusnt it.

12. BSR67 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thats the bad boy but you also need to realise if the system is low on gas the low pressure sensor which will prevent operation of the air conditioning system and clutch even if the relay is fine.

So get the car on the aircon diagnostics machine get the vacuum on it to see how much is drawn out and how much it takes then troubleshoot it.

I won't recommend random top ups.

14. Caius Liu Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No not releasing the gas into the air beefy my mate works for merc he's head mechanic there, so he can do it there after work.

is the clutch not in the aircon pump / compressor??

also can any one clarify if there is any difference on the aircon pump / compressor for a 2.0 petrol, 2.4 petrol and 2.2 diesel??