Intake System Air filter problems

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by david seale, Monday 20th Jul, 2015.

1. david seale Premium Member Club Supporter

kent
    Hi there my 2.0 auto 12/98 accord has been of road for a threw weeks whilst having new rear hubs disc and pads fitted, whilst cleaning it I decided to replace air filter with a non genuine part (not cheapest).
    Since it will not go over 4000 revs when on flat or on hills and just starts to kangaroo as if going to cut out.
    So I removed air filter and runs perfect if any thing improves performance.
    Has anyone come across this before ?
    Was thinking of maybe using an induction kit if going to improve performance.
    My engine management light has been on since I purchased it 3 years ago but run fine .

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    That's a bit odd, but the obvious conclusion is that the new (non-genuine) filter is overly-restrictive. Who made it?

You'll need to find the reason for the EML, as that's now an MOT failure.

3. david seale Premium Member Club Supporter

kent
    I think it was cross land I was going to buy a Mann filter but sales assistant I E' Parts recommended it.
    my MOT tester was going to check its fault codes but could not find where to plug in.

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Seeing as how you're having this problem, I'd get an OEM filter and take it from there. It may turn out not to help fix the problem, but at least you'll have ruled out it being a defective/crap filter.

I think the OBD connector is in the passenger footwell, accessible in a join in the carpet?

It's interesting that there is a voting option!

5. david seale Premium Member Club Supporter

kent
    Not sure how i got the voting option noticed after i posted

6. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've got a spare K+N and a used (worked fine for me circa 1500 miles) aftermarket air filter that I'm not using at the moment. I'm happy to send the aftermarket for postage money or sell the K+N. If you're interested in either offer I'll create a thread on giveaway/for sale section.

7. david seale Premium Member Club Supporter

kent
    What would you be looking for for the k&n

8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

£35 delivered, its only 2 months old and I got the original box etc. I'll create a for sale thread if you're interested?

9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I fitted a crosland filter on mt Dad's old 6th Generation, didnt cause any issues, I think your problem might be elsewhere, have you checked to see its not blocked anywhere else and throttle body is clean?

10. david seale Premium Member Club Supporter

kent
    I haven't as yet but going to try old one back in see if it cures problem

11. david seale Premium Member Club Supporter

kent
    Old one back in problem solved will be going for the k&n offer

12. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Quelle surprise! Why can't cheap aftermarket manufacturers make decent filters anymore???

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  13. david seale Premium Member Club Supporter

kent
    I've used them in the past on most of my cars believing them to be fine but now I wonder how much they may have been restricting the performance and efficiency of the vehicle,

14. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    It's appalling how many fuel filter problems on the I-CTDI diesel are due to the fitting of aftermarket ones. And my previous Mann air filter had to be trimmed by me to make it fit properly. I will only use OEM filters now...

15. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Very odd, I didn't think the Crosland was too bad a quality, the paper cloth material didnt feel as good as the OEM one mind.

16. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Very strange indeed. I replaced mine with a Mann filter from a car parts place and had no issues at all, appart from struggling to get the airbox lid back on, but had the same issue with the old one that was in before.

I would look at getting the OBD codes read first though to see why the EML is on. That said the light could be caused by a vaulty EGR valve (common) and its something I have had to replace on my own Accord.

You can purchase on ebay for about £5 a bluetooth OBD2 reader and then go on google play app for Android and download the Torque app ( I paid the £3 for the pro version which is better) and then diagnose the fault code yourself.
    As pointed out the OBD2 port is under a fold of carpet in the passenger footwell, next to the centre console ashtray area.

17. david seale Premium Member Club Supporter

kent
    Never thought of trying to buy a reader to be honest would not have thought could get them so cheap.
    Just ordered one have to wait to see what's happening.
    Oh and thanks for info Harvey

18. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I bought one just in case, but then needed it to find out an EML code when it came on. I have had previous experience with OPCOM for Vauxhall, but that was pc based. Its handy to have to have though.