General Airbag light

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Mazeyshane, Sunday 10th Jul, 2016.

1. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello, i changed my headlight bulb before and then when i started the car the airbag light come on, i have got resistors in the seats due to having Type-R seats in but the resistors seem fine and are tucked in nicely, i have tried to reset the light but it just comes back on, so im just wondering if anyone has any information that could help me?
    Thanks again

k20a3 likes this.
  2. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,
    Did you disconnect anything when you replaced the bulb? Sounds like you may have disturbed something in the process. There is a special way of resetting the dash warning lights using a paper clip in the blue 2 pin connector under the dash. But if there is a problem somewhere it will just come back on.

3. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers mate had another go at trying it and sorted it, checked everything and everything seemed fine so just tried it again and now its gone off mate, cheers for the reply mate:Smile:

k20a3 likes this.
  4. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's great news. Well done.
    Nice car by the way! Don't see many of that model and colour. Looks really smart.

5. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers mate :Smile: need update some of the pictures now tho as it has the Type-R seats and door carss in the car now :Smile: looks alot smarter when youre looking at it from rhe outside and you can see the buckets, thanks again mate appreciate ir :Smile:

k20a3 likes this.
  6. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Seems strange that the airbag light came on after changing the headlight bulb. The airbag ECU is located behind the dashboard, behind the engine ECU, I would have thought that it would be a loose wire somewhere.
    Two things spring to mind.
    1. an old Peugeot 106 that I had years ago had a loose connector under the seat that set the airbag light off, a fiddle with the plug solved that problem

2. a Vauxhall Astra that I had had an issue with the airbag light coming on intermittently and then eventually all the time was due to a wiring fault behind the steering wheel with a part called a Squib. inside was a ribbon cable wound like a clock spring, these controlled the horn and airbag on the steering wheel. Eventually after 18 years of use it snapped inside causing the light to come on. I found the fault using a Chinese clone of OPCOM / VAUXCOM (Tech2) which is like Honda's HIM HDS interface. I reset it after replacing the squib and all was fine. I don't know how Honda squibs are built, but if you start loosing steering wheel functions, that might be a suspect part.

7. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers for the reply mate, ita all sorted now, took me a good coupke of goes to get the light to go off using the paper clip trick and checking everything was connected properly, but got it off now mate and its all sorted :Smile: just hope it don't come back on again, but so far so good :Smile:

Fiskekutteren, k20a3 and Harvey like this.