Electrical & Lights Airbag light

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by karl121, Sunday 5th May, 2013.

1. karl121 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey guys me again with another electrical problem.

This time its the air bag dash light.

Last week I spilled tea over it last week so on the weekend I disconnected the battery, unbolted the seat, unplugged the airbag, had a hard time with that stupid white plastic tie wrap they have to secure the wire and took the seat out and gave it a good hard scrubbing all over. The airbag light was on for obvious reasons.

This morning I disconnected my battery, put my seat back in, plugged in the airbag and put the battery back on.

I started up my car and noticed the airbag light is still on. I checked to see it was plugged in right cause that's the only reason I can think of that would make the light stay on. Unless I have damaged the wires trying to get the white tie wrap off.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

If I have to get a new wire do you think its easy enough to sort myself?

Would I have to get a special wire for it?

If so how much would it cost?

Karl (the master at breaking the electrics of a Honda)
  2. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

If your airbag ECU does not detect the seat the airbag light will stay on no matter what you do.
    You will need to get the fault cleared from your ECU.
    Honda dealer will do this.
  3. karl121 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So no matter what if I have the seat unplugged and then plug it back in the SRS light will show? Even if no wire has been damaged?

4. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sounds like it needs turning off and codes clearing. I think due to it being a critical system any fault will permanently illuminate the light.
  5. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Once the airbag ECU detects a fault the light will stay on till fault is cleared .
  6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    As Paul said once the air bag light has been activated it won't automatically turn itself off once the circuit has been reinstated, even if the circuit is now complete or the fault has been fixed. The fault code which triggered the light will need to be cleared for the light to go off.
  7. karl121 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you guys.

Any idea how much this will cost?
  8. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    A main dealer will have the necessary code reader or a well equipped independent so costs will vary depending on the route you choose. Unfortunately a basic generic code reader won't be able to interrogate the air bag system so it's not really an ebay diy job.
  9. karl121 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well looks like its a trip through to the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks guys :Grin:
  10. karl121 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Took it in today and got it fixed for under £50.

Thanks guys :Grin:
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Did they just do a reset ?
  12. karl121 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

They just cleared the fault to my knowledge SpeedyGee.