HVAC Aircon query

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by LanDi, Wednesday 20th Jul, 2016.

1. LanDi Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom chris liverpool
    Hi all,

Honda Accord 2009 EX 2.2 I-DTEC

I am having a strange issue with my aircon. On any given day it seems fine, ICE cold and perfect. yet the last couple of very hot days we have had in the north west it just blows hot/warm- even after a 20min drive. (I did notice passenger vents were slightly cooler then drivers side) I had to resort to all the windows down and sunroof open. I have tried 'auto' 'manual' ac/on off, dual on off and every other combination possible.

This morning with more reasonable warm rather then hot outdoor temps it was icecold again. Is a re-gas the best option?

Anyone have/had this same issue?

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    By the sounds of it, yes. Honda is charging around £45 for re gassing so IMO that's the option to go for otherwise national chains are well known for putting in wrong amount of gas and they charge similar amount to Honda (£49) so it's a no brainer really.

LanDi and Nighthawk like this.
  3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Aylesbury Honda did a free health check on my Accord too when they regassed her. I like free stuff

LanDi likes this.
  4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    now I'm really tempted to find a London dealership to check my aircon as everything seems to be working except the compressor clutch. Might need regas
    @gatwick_honda you there?

5. Domm Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Best way to test your aircon is with probe-like thermometer, placed into the vents, with nearly full fan speed & temp settings set at low. Full system should be able to achieve close to 9-10 degrees (C, not F :Smile:)) of cold air out of the vents.
    Regas should be done after the system leak (or another issue that caused the purge of refrigerant) is found and repaired, unless you are unable to find the leak, then you should go for the dye to see the exact spot.

Just don't be fooled by the marketing tricks such as "health recheck", as if your car already lost refrigerant, you are likely to loose it again in no time. Technician should find the leak or you will have to regas every season. Check the condenser for oily - like marks, as they tend to corrode...

6. LanDi Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom chris liverpool
    Hi all,

thanks for the advice, it was re-gassed today by kwik-fit (not my first choice but they were open on a sunday and honda was booked up until after the big drive/family holiday-tbh they were surprisingly quick and efficient, £49.99).

So far it is extremely cold and no leaks were found. I will keep a check and report back if anything else goes wrong or the 'fix' doesn't last.

Cheers

legend-ary and Ichiban like this.