Electrical & Lights Alarm malfunction linked to tailgate

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by CBen, Thursday 30th Jun, 2016.

1. CBen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom ChrisB Warks
    Yet another tailgate issue on my Accord Tourer 2007 CDTi post-facelift.
    Alarm started going off at random, not frequently but 2am is always bad. After alarm the car would not lock on the key.
    Honda dealer suspected bonnet catch and disconnected it but didn't do a test. Wasn't that.
    Then tailgate open warning came on while I was driving - ah I thought that's it.
    On checking found that car had been bumped in a car-park. Externally damage was very minor surface scratches but underneath the metal was distorted meaning that the O/S bottom corner was 10mm further closed than the N/S.
    Knocked out metal and reduced this to 5mm.
    Did ECU reset - battery disconnected for > 20 mins. Reconnected with tailgate up, manual shut. OK for about mile then the tailgate alarm on again. Retried reset a number of times but no consistent result.
    Thread at Honda Accord Tourer Tailgate issues and trobleshooting (Pre-Facelift Model - )
    was very helpful.
    Checked wiring as well as possible - no broken wires visible but of course could be wire not insulation and a lot is protected.
    Checked the sensor gaps (bluetac) about 5mm on all of them.
    Moved the locking mechanism forwards now cannot get the light to go out after reset. Same when moved back.
    Would be happy to disable the sensors (I think) but simple disconnect seems not to stop the tailgate open state and stops the electric shut.
    Do I need to get in the heavies and twist the tailgate to get rid of the 5mm mismatch? Can I short out the sensors or move them?
    As there is an another £320 bill for a binding calipers and it needs two new tyres this could be the end of the road.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How old is the car battery ?

3. CBen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It is original but I have never had any trouble with it and recharged it during my trying to sort this in case.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  5. CBen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I did see that page - but sorry not relevant. The alarm is not sounding continuously just intermittently.
    Even when the car is locked and the alarm armed it is only going off occasionally. The issue is more how do I get the system to recognise that the tailgate is shut, turn off the boot open light, allow the key fob locking to work and stop the occasional change of state while armed causing the alarm.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good luck in find the root cause buddy. Please update us when you do find it. We have never seen this issue before it will be one for the archives.

jimjams likes this.
  7. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    ^ as above

also, the battery in the siren is ageing

ageing car battery + ageing siren battery = recipe for siren going off

SpeedyGee likes this.
  8. CBen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Belated reply - might be helpful to someone.
    Put the "battery failing" comments to the back of queue. It ignores the fact that the car started consistently all this time and the siren only went off ocassionally.
    Determined that the problem was definitely a broken wire but hidden within the insulation. Got to the stage where the tailgate was showing intermittently open as one was going along a lot of the time.
    In view of this we traded the Accors and another car in for a CR-V. Invoice stated that we got £2500 for the Accord, with the faults not unhappy with that.
    Of course, as soon as we made that descision the tailgate wire decided to join up and the tailgate & alarm issue went away but still OK because that kind of cure is only temporary.
    Thanks for your interest

9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    So you have a CR-V now?