Electrical & Lights Alarm problem

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by mattyg, Monday 8th Sep, 2014.

1. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi all I have not used my car for a little while I went to work in it this morning and noticed that the alarm was activated whilst I was driving. It took me a while to figure out it was my car as i am a little deaf lol. Anyhow I have just moved house and I have temporarily lost my wsm. Can anyone post up the relevant fault finding section or help me out with the alarm module location. All other functions are normal I had to put tape over the ultrasonic sensors in the car to stop it going off whilst I was driving. The alarm will still sound when I open the car though its as if its not being deactivated.

Any help as always muchly appreciated

Thanks a lot Matt

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Was the battery dead when you got back to using your car Matt?

4. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi

No it started up ok and the battery is only a few months old. It did cross my mind as these cars are very sensitive to low battery voltage and it can cause all sorts of error messages even when the battery tests ok.
    Funny thing is I left it at work last night and got the mrs to pick me up so I didn't drive the neighbours mad, I have just been out and tried it and all seems fine. very strange

Matt

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Some alarms have an internal battery ... maybe that went low and it through a wobbly because of that ? :Unknown:

6. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks for that going to have the boot panels off tomorrow and have a look I've found my wsm and I will use that to test the wiring.

Thanks matt

7. v6Echo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Any luck? Perhaps it thought you were driving like you'd stolen it!:Smile:

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

9. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi had a play today and tested the interior sensors using the procedure in the wsm I have to test the inclination sensor next I believe that's under the parcel shelf. Interestingly it has two sirens one in the left hand side of the boot and another up front somewhere that I've yet to locate. Answers on a postcard please.

Matt

10. v6Echo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Matt sorry I have missed this thread totally despite the nudge from Nelsy, I have been racking my brains and I have come across this issue in the past This is primarily down to a battery drain which caused the alarm issue. The root cause is the trunk lid won't open or opens by itself.Can you please check the trunk switch in the trunk lid for signs of water ingress or corrosion, if so that needs replacing and it will fix the battery drain.

On the 7th Generation this is problem when the battery goes low Electrical & Lights - Alarm Siren sounds continuously • Honda Karma can you just check the battery voltage those piggy back batteries for the siren last for yonks I will be surprised they are duff.

12. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi thanks for that do you know where the switch is located? I have disconnected the alarm module for now until I get another chance to have a look I'm not sure what you mean are you saying that the trunk opens? I really appreciate your Input
    Thanks matt

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Is your trunk power assisted?

14. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

No you can unlock it off the key but it doesn't open it.
    matt

15. v6Echo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I take it you got the alarm problem sorted in the end. What caused it? My Legend has caught the disease now. Unlocked the door to drive home from work & the alarm sounded. Seemed to stop & start erratically. Decided to drive home & it was going on & off but eventually behaved. When I got home & locked the door it started again. Left it alone & it stopped. Probably get the dealer to look as it is under warranty.

16. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

I suspect that my problems where caused by a flat battery my 4 year old likes to play with my keys and I think he opened the boot so it was ajar leaving the light on. I plugged the module back in weeks ago and have not had the problem since.

Matt

Last edited by a moderator: Tuesday 4th Nov, 2014
    Nels likes this.
  17. v6Echo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Can't be that on mine as I haven't got a 4 year old :Smile:.
    Stuck the batterry on charge last night & straight away the problem ceased. So off to get a new one on Friday. Can anyone confirm this? In the handbook spec it lists a 55 AH & a 72 capacity one. I'm guessing that the 72 is for the model with electric power steering.
    All my battery problems on previous cars led to poor starting. So this is a new one on me! Driving along with the siren on, I didn't know if I was an ICE cream van or a police car . 99 or 999?

18. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Pretty sure I got the 72 ah one

19. v6Echo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

is yor model the one with LKAS & CMBS?

20. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Yes it is

Matt