Electrical & Lights Alarm !!

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by foursail, Sunday 10th May, 2015.

1. foursail Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Help - disconnected the battery to get at the coolant reservoir to check as its in a pretty stupid place but when I've reconnected the alarm go's off and I can't get it off ! Is there a procedure for resetting it ? Car starts ok. I didn't even know I had an alarm pretty sure it's factory fitted one

Many thanks

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is known issue with the FR-V you will find a alarm sensor would have failed let the backup battery die and then get a garage to diagnose the sensor and replace it.

3. foursail Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Can I pull a fuse to knock it ?off the backup battery must be dead as it go's off when I disconnect battery again.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No really mate, did you get this sorted in the end and what was the resolution?

5. foursail Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sort of ! Did a bit reading about on the net as you do seems like you say it is common problem of hondas of a certain age. I wasn't able to use the key fob with the fuse out or the Delphi code reader I have ! Rather than rip the boot lining out to get to the alarm siren unit it seems like the lithium batteries in the unit go over time and for whatever reason cause a fault if battery disconnected. My battery was not going off with the battery off so I knew they were dead. Anyway I piled the family in and popped the fuse in and drove about for 15 mins with the alarm blaring much to their embarrassment ! After about 7mins it gos off ! Ureka ! But then can on again ! after a few mins nooo ! But the frequency became less until it stayed off ! Hooray. But now I find I can't deadlock the car only press the button once to lock which makes me think the ultrasonic sensor or the bonnet one is faulty? Anyway I can lock it now and drive without pretending to be in the emergency services so I'm leaving it at that for now !

6. Fourfather New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Martin Congleton
    Hi, I'm having a similar problem with my FR-V locking system/alarm at the moment, did you manage to get it sorted?

7. foursail Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi It seems so. I can lock using the key fob and alarm isn't sounding randomly anymore which I've left it at rather then pulling trim off to get at the alarm unit in the boot. If your alarm is sounding just drive around until it charges the batteries a bit that did the trick for me

8. Fourfather New Member Getting Started

Thanks, have been doing that, just trying to avoid the 10 mins of embarrassment every morning! Forgive my lack of car savvy, which batteries are they? Is it the main car battery or a different one?

9. foursail Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No from what I gather there are some back up batteries in the siren unit obviously over time these must start failing. When you take main car battery off it does something when you reconnect main battery it causes a fault. I read on the forums of people going to the dealers to get charged lots for getting a new siren unit although have seen them on eBay for about £30 but they'll be getting on a bit to. Hah I just drove around an industrial estate then the motorway for about 20 mins and the intervals between the alarm siren got less and less and touch wood it's been ok since!

Fourfather likes this.
  10. Fourfather New Member Getting Started

Thanks, will have a look on eBay, if I get one from there and it works I'll at least confirm the cause!