Suspension, Steering and Brakes Alignment advice - Car pulling to left

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by DieselPower, Sunday 17th Nov, 2013.

1. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right Chaps some assistance please :Bye:!

My 06 FR-V has always pulled to the left , I have known for sometime that the inside of both front tyres were worn and very close to the limit, back tyres had general wear as well, so I got 4 new continental premium contacts from kwik-fit, wheels balanced at kwik fit and hunter aligned at another place. Hunter details can be seen below.

Anyway, the fatty still pulls to the left and It feels MORE pronounced than before! I am into the curb in about 7 seconds on a flat bit of road.

I can't hear any noises from the suspension or Lower control arm bushes and braking hard does not increase the pull. Brakes work well, no grabbing or vibrations etc..

The alignment guy told me the left front camber (in yellow) is not adjustable, he said it could cause a pull to the left. How am I supposed to adjust something that's not adjustable!?

Before.
    After.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is for a FR-V and not an Accord moving into correct section.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Now the thread is moved have you got the Honda -Access sport suspension on your FR-V? if not

You need to get the entire car suspension and bushes checked it more or less somthing is worn.

4. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers for the quick reply,

It's an FR-V Sport, it doesn't have Access sport suspension.

As you said, I'll have to get underneath and look for play.

I hate working on cars in winter!!

- - - Updated - - -

Ichiban, Is the front left camber anything to worry about?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good that Honda-Access lowering suspension is notorious for getting the alignment geometry all over the place and no matter what you did it won't fall into spec.

Since you have put new tyres you want to act fast as that front left and camber at the rear will just wear the new rubber in no time. yes the left front won't have a worn bush ,drop link or even damage as that is pretty much poor.

6. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    I have just had the Hunter alignment done on my 2006 FR-V Sport, and the measurements were pretty much identical!

The left front camber was -0,29 and within limits so showed green and was not adjusted. The rear cambers were -1,56 (L) and -1,55 (R) which are just outside the -1,45 limit but these are apparently not adjustable, but the technician said it was so small a difference that it did not matter. Front toe was 0,13 and 0,15 so was adjusted to zero. The rear toe was -0,02 and 0,14 adjusted to 0,03 and 0,04

I, too, had it done because of the FR-V's tendency to wander gradually into the gutter, meaning you have to drive it whilst constantly holding a restraining finger on the wheel. Not a major problem, just annoying! My tyres are all fairly new Avons and wear seems pretty even and not excessive. After the adjustments (at JPS Motorsport in Bletchly, MK) she did better for a while but then went back to her wandering habits on the way home.
    Yesterday I swapped the wheels front to back and today have done the 165 miles up to Newcastle, and although the slight wander is still there it is much better. The small vibration I had between 70 and 80 has totally disappeared though. All in all £80 well spent in my opinion.

One of the things I was warned about before buying the car was their tendency to follow the camber - and they DO!

Last edited: Monday 18th Nov, 2013
  7. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the info FR-V, insanity loves company:Blink:.

8. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Yep, and now I can't stop calling my blue bus "fatty" too :Nuts:

I have just found the thread about seized eccentric bolts on the lower rear wishbone on the 7th Generation Accord - I take it the FR-V doesn't have these?

Last edited: Tuesday 19th Nov, 2013
  9. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'll have to read about these eccentric bolts! No idea if they are on the FR-V.

10. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just checked my front passenger side bushings. My compliance bushing is worn badly!

No play at all when wiggling the wheel at 12 and 6 o'cloc, however I have this clunk when testing 3 and 9 o'clock, go to 34 secs for the noise. I can see the steering rack moving ever so slightly. Doesn't make any noise when driving.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
    FR-V likes this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup all normal wear and tear fella time to throw some money on replacement parts then another realignment.

BTW replace all bushes in pairs don't do just one side.

12. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

really want to diy this but i don't have presses or pullers. heard that the drop links are difficult to remove as well.

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Replacing bushes at home without a press isn't too bad to be honest. I've done a few myself. Having some large socket sets helps, you can use these to whack in the bushes. Never had an issue with drop links either, mind you I have a hench compressor.

14. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don't have any large sockets, what do you think of these of these tools? I might buy one of them if I decide to diy it:
    Universal Press and Pull Sleeve Kit Bearing Seal Bush Insertion Extraction Tool | eBay
    Universal Press and Pull Sleeve Kit Remove Install Bushes Bearings Garage Tool | eBay

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Not sure how useful those would be to be honest, never used any kits like those.