Electrical & Lights All clocks and dash lights die

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by karl121, Tuesday 23rd Apr, 2013.

1. karl121 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey guys I have been experiencing a problem with my 6th Generation Accord.

As I am driving suddenly all of the dash will die. The speedo and the tacho will both drop down along with the fuel and temp gauge and my mileage clock also turns off and won't record the miles as I am driving.

The car still runs fine, and can still use all the controls (window wipers, heaters etc), but as I am not mechanically minded and have never experienced the problem before I can't think of why it will be doing this.

Is this maybe a wiring issue? Or a fuse issue?

Thanks guys

Karl

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Karl,

Welcome to AOC bud, looks like short wiring or bad earth, however wait for other members for their input before deciding what to do.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi Karl, as CJ says, short or break in wire somewhere.

We could do with a wiring diagram here to help determine what to check out.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They problem is the wiring diagrams are so small they need to be zoomed in and you can't do zoom without pixelating the drawing. Try to troubleshoot it doing the trace route and when you get stuck let us know.

5. karl121 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the replies guys.

I had a look last night with my dad, and we came across a 20amp fuse wired up to the battery that was broken. I'm not sure what this fuse is for at all but I have replaced it. Any ideas? It don't look factory fitted. Maybe some sort of by pass?

When looking for loose and faulty wiring for the clocks where do I start?

Whilst having a look last night I couldn't figure it out. I have no wiring diagrams or Haynes manual to take reference from for this.

Thanks for the replies guys. I hope I can get this solved soon.

6. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

If it were me ( I'm not mechanically minded ) I would just take it to an auto electrician and let them sort it.

7. karl121 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I would do that but I have no money to spend on such things sadly. Usually with a bit of guidance from the dad I can fix things though, so hopefully once I have a clue where to start for tracing the wires then he can help me with that and I can post the repair for future users with the same issue.

I'm getting the feeling I am gonna have to take the dash apart to start this tracing but also fear that it might be linked to the gearbox and all that stuff so hoping there ain't a messed up sensor down there.

I found a wiring diagram and it is kinda eligible when you zoom in a little bit but I not sure where to look. Is it even the correct one?
    CD7_CD9-stereo-wires.

8. karl121 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Gauge Control Module sounds interesting, as it's all your gauges that are the ones that are affected.

Look around that area on the second diagram.

10. karl121 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ah Ha thanks speedygee, so that will be the diagram to use for reference. Its starting to rain now so I don't fancy having a look around the car tonight, hopefully tomorrow will be a dry day in Scotland.

Once I find and have a look round the wires I will update.

Thanks guys!

11. karl121 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey guys.

I couldn't find anything at all wrong with the wiring. Its not done it again since the other day either.

I think maybe it was just a kinda fluke type of thing.

Thanks anyways guys :Grin:

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Thanks for reporting back.

Hope it all stays working. Random electrical gremlins are nasty things to track down.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Electrical gremlins are one area which you can be chasing your own tail forever. Luckily these are so rare on Honda its not a concern.

diesel well it didn't have a chance it left the factory the germans had a hand in it. ( JOKE) for diesel owners, your car will be fine not worry.