General All-Time Favourite Car Seats

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DeviateDefiant, Friday 8th Aug, 2014.

1. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I sat in my '03 earlier and I remembered just how much I loved those Exec leather seats, the rears are in reasonable shape and I'll likely port them across to my '07. But I'd need new fronts as they're so worn. It got me thinking, there's no reason I need to stick to stock. I don't mind reupholstering anything or having to do custom work with the rails.

So what are your favourite car seats of all time? Cloth, leather, or whatever.

Personally I love how @allan_tifa's Mazda RX-8 Recaros suit:

20140314_134845-jpg.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I think the full leather seats you find in the Exec are excellent. So comforting, you can drive for hours and hours and you still won't get tired.

3. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    I've had full leather and when you do a fast twisty road cloth or half leather stops you slipping around.

Best seats I've ever had in a daily driver. My 1.8 Sierra LX. Perfect fit.

My 04 tourer seats are very comfortable too.

4. Chrispike Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My poverty spec Citroen C5 seats were surprisingly good, a good amount of hug and have stood up to 150k of driving with no rips,tears or excessive wear.

5. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ford Granada seats super comfy but my all time favourites are RS Turbo Recaro's :Wink:

6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Old Volvo seats have always been comfy! Like sofas.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @allan_tifa's how did you overcome the ABS warning for the front seats? I take it the mazda seats have side airbags?

8. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Very very simple question to answer.

JDM Spec DC2 Integra Recaros, don;t care what colour cos you can;t see them when you're sat in them.

attachment.

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

@Ichiban, you just shove a 1Ohm 2.2W resistor into the yellow airbag connector - similar to what I was trying to do to patch up my '03s SRS system. It's quite a well known trick with Hondas.

@exec I hadn't thought about looking into Volvo seats, I can remember them being quite comfy from my old man's many moons ago.

@PeteMM, I've heard that about the DC2 Recaros - only thing is I want something pretty well padded.

I've been tempted by 3rd Generation Prelude seats, read a lot about them and they're popular for swaps. I've even seen them turned into desk chairs:

P1010035.

On the right, left is CR-X.

@accordheritage, I've found these leather trim Sierra seats, similar?

$_57.JPG

I honestly don't care about condition, whatever I get I'll likely get retrimmed in leather.

10. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Dude, none of those seats will compare with the EK9/DC2 seats with regard to comfort.

The fact they hug you means you don't slouch, typical Recaro OEM quality but if you go down the lines of recovering, keep the centres in Alcantara

You can buy them new in Leather.

Recaro Cross Speed M Reclining Sport Seat - GSM Sport Seats - Bucket seats, racing seats, motorsport seats, roll cages and harnesses

However, they are the slightly wider UK based versions which I am not as fond of. Still an epic seat.

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

They're just not my style mate, I'm not keen on Recaros in general to be quite honest. I want fat padded seats as opposed to sports style seats :boss:

If I can't find something worthy of reworking and retrimming, I'll just use Exec like my '03.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I had problems with seats in a Vovlo S80, the hard high bolster at the front of the seat would cause be left leg to go numb. I had to try and counter this by having a angled cushion, which was tall at the back and narrow at the front. This helped a bit but in the end I get fed up and sold the car.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @DeviateDefiant Rather have working airbag than a vanity chair, but that’s me.. Yeah I was aware of the trick to trick the airbag warning light, Just curious to hear if those seats worked with the Honda loom as Japanese seat connectors are pretty much universal for airbags,

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Mate, I'm just looking for leather seats because they're easier to clean, and to me more comfortable. I'm just playing the field looking for ideas at the moment, would be a bonus if I could utilise a seat with built-in airbags - but I'm honestly not that bothered.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Fair enough stocks seats are very comfy but not lookers for sporty minded rides.

16. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    Turning my spare first gen seats and rear bench into a three piece suite for my den. They are black and in great nick. Came from my 80 hatchback with 40k and rear bench never sat on.