Suspension, Steering and Brakes Alloy hot, weird noise

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Ben28, Saturday 14th Jun, 2014.

1. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Shetland
    For the last 3 days I've been noticing a weird wahwahwah noise when driving, about 60mph.
    On the way just now I pulled off the motorway incase it was the road surface and while I was going through a village the engine check light came on.
    I pulled over and switched off and became aware of a "hot plastic" smell.
    Getting out and having a nosy around it turns out my front O/S alloy is very very hot, and it's the tyre I could smell.
    What dya reckon guys?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Engine light you sure its the MIL? Have you checked the engine oil level?

3. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's the orange "management" light.
    Not checked oil for a couple of weeks.

Should I be overly worried about the red hot alloy?
    Cheers

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    All sounds rather confusion, a check engine light, "hot plastic smell", alloy wheel hot and tyre smelling.

If it wasn't for the check engine light I'd hazard a guess at a seized brake caliper and the smell being brake pads.

Only way I can think of to explain this confusion is to suggest that you have two different issues.

So I'd suggest getting the code read and having your front brake caliper check out.

PeteMM likes this.
  5. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Why do cars always go wrong at the weekend. Lol.
    Getting the code read tomorrow, will take to garage on Monday.

6. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Gave my local garage a call he said it defo sounds like sticking calliper, he'll have a look tomorrow.
    The engine light has gone out now but I'll get the code read tomorrow.
    I've had previous codes on there for intake manifold stuck open , or similar.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

If the light has gone out, don't worry about it unless it reappears.

The caliper probably just needs some TLC to get it going again (strip and clean). Garages tend to want you to buy a new one so that they don't have any come back if the caliper sticks again.

8. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeh he's going to strip it and clean in the morning :Smile:
    Thanks

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

OK, that's great, that should sort it.

10. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Sheffield
    I can say that this is 99% likely going to be a sticking caliper.

I had this problem on my 2007 Type-R Civic and a quick disassemble and grease from the garage sorted it.

I thought it could be bearings or even a tyre before they quickly diagnosed it.

Shouldn't take more than an hours labour to sort and your fuel consumption may improve after as effectively you are driving with a brake slightly on constantly, the moaning noise at high speed and the red hot smelly alloy are just by products of the friction.

Hope you sort it :Smile:

11. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    This

However. Do t be fooled into thinking just an hours labour will do it.

Taking into account jacking up, removal, properly cleaning and the subsequent polishing of the piston(s) then rebuilding and bleeding. An hour is not going to do it if it's done right.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  12. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys. My dad's friend is a mechanic and sorted the sticking calliper for me for 1hr labour which he said was a guesstimate and only charged me £40. He said there was a ring of corrosion on the piston so he cleaned and polished it.

He's a handy guy to know- he scanned the codes and the cause of the check light was intake control valve stuck open or similar. Hasn't come back on so he said it was just a glitch.