Detailing Alloy Wheel Cleaner

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Friday 5th Sep, 2014.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Can't see a thread about this at least in the last year or so but I was wondering what you all use for cleaning alloy wheels?

After the state of my MPS ones (already corroded slightly upon purchase) I'm being very careful but noticed a lot of them are acidic for obvious reasons. I went for the Mer one as it's non-acidic and seems to do the job well with a little aggravating.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/cl...el-cleaner/mer-power-foam-wheel-cleaner-500ml

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@wanner69, have you any recommendations?

3. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I use this

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Nothing is showing? Android problem?

5. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    - - - Updated - - -
    Horrible iPad, I use ValetPRO bilberry wheel cleaner followed with poorboy alloy wheel polish

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Not working on mine either.
    ''This plug-in is not supported''

Any suggestions @DeviateDefiant

Fine on PC though

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Can see it on the PC now :Smile:

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    That's down to the iOS not working with Flash, I'm going to try and figure out another solution to cater to more devices :Smile:

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I had that issue designing a website for a film company as they needed showreels to play on iphones etc. Used htlm5 to get around it.

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yeah for HTML5 video you want WebM, H246 and Ogg formats to be cross-browser without flash :Smile:

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    That's what i do and use freemake to convert to it as it does all three for you automatically. Fantastic bit of free software!

Here's the website where i implemented it all: Commercial Editors in Soho, London

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I tend to to the MP4 version through Adobe Premier Pro then there's an online convert tool I use for the WebM and Ogg versions, though it's name escapes me at the moment.

That's an okay little site, though I'd suggest you try and use HTML5 elements instead of lots of nested divs :Smile:

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm afraid that's beyond what I've had time to learn, it's just a wee side skill for personal stuff and helping the odd pal out. At the moment I'm at the stage where if the site looks how I want it to, runs how I want it to, then I don't see the point in spending time learning new code unless it's essential to get something working. I'm probably like Mr Sacrilege to full time web developers/designers etc. lol

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

To go back to the original question (!) I recommend Bilt-Hamber wheel cleaner. Best I've used and I've used loads. Safe for my Sigma alloys too.

Smells awful though...

15. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    Sorry guys only just seen this, Carpro ironx is awesome, its not just a wheel cleaner but great on paintwork too, it removes iron deposits and fallout. Its great at removing stubborn brake dust and most of all its PH Neutral. once the wheels are fully cleaned then all you need to do is seal them up then normal shampoo washes will suffice. If another deep clean is needed then use again. Here is a link to my FN2 wheels a long time ago when i had it just to give you an idea. My thread was from 2011 over on civinfo, only thing i use in the pics now are ironx when im doing other cars and bilberry occasionally too, rest of the stuff has changed for other products.
    Wheel off, thorough clean required - Civinfo

AccordCU2 likes this.
  16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm sold, that is awesome!:dribble:

wanner69 likes this.
  17. as13 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bloxham
    I've been using autoglym spray its pretty good but you use a lot. My plan is to remove the wheel clean it up with autoglym then add poorboys wheel polish. I've no choice but to use a spray as it's hard to get anything in between the spokes (delta alloy wheels).

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hey @as13, I see that is your first post.

Why don't you pop over to the Introduction section, say a few words about yourself and your car mate.

wanner69 likes this.
  19. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Been thinking about taking my wheels off and giving the alloys a good clean on the insides also but a thought just crossed my mind, will the alloy wheel cleaner attack the adhesive under the balancing weights?

20. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    if you are going to use a tar and glue remover for tar spotting etc then its a possiblity if you soaked the weights area, just avoid it