Off-Topic Alternative to GOOGLE that does not track activities

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by tomwillie, Monday 4th Jan, 2016.

1. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    If you want an alternative to Google that does not track your activities then try:
    https://duckduckgo.com/
    I have now made it my default search engine.
    I also believe in WINDOWS 10 Microsoft & it new EDGE browser will also track what you do unless turned off somehow.

dinoc and Ichiban like this.
  2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Don't use Google, have used Bing since I got my Apple devices as that was the default. Use Safari on all of them, seems to work fine i.e. It does what I need if to do.

I'm sure those also track my activity in some way, but I'm not sure why I should be bothered? Life really is too short - if somebody wants to monitor me looking at old cars on Autotrader, eBay, HondaKarma and Watford football, along with a bit of online shopping, then I'm happy if they are!

3. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    No pop up adds with duckduckgo.com. It also sometimes produces more appropriate search results than Google.
    duckduckgo.com added to my home screen on Hudl2 so can easily be used as alternative to Chrome/Google.
    We use Safari on ipad.

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I've just made it the default on Safari, will give it a try. Nothing ventured...:Smile:

5. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

@FirstHonda another Watford fan. Come on you horns!

FirstHonda likes this.
  6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

First match in 1974 - defeat at home to Torquay - my local team and a season ticket holder for many, many years until recently.

My avatar is the 1970s shirt logo...

You too?

7. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

1977, 2-0 home win against Hendon Town in the FA Cup. Promoted to 3rd division in GT's first season in charge. Followed them all the way to second place in the 1st division and losing to Andy Grey header in the FA Cup Final. Then European football!

FirstHonda likes this.
  8. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Most memorable game? 1982 8-0 at home against Sunderland. Applause turning to laughter after the 6th goal went in!

FirstHonda likes this.
  9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@Lisbon - I think we may have taken this thread slightly :offtopic:...

I have great memories of Watford during the late 1970s and early 1980s. It was a great time to be a supporter, especially given some of the dross I've watched since - until the last few years and the Pozzo takeover of course.

I think my highlight, though, was a bit later and the Wembley play-off final against Bolton as we were such underdogs. Nick Wright and THAT overhead kick...followed up by Allan 'even though he's Scottish' Smart. What a great day that was...:OTT:

I've got quite a few bits and bobs knocking around too. The Southampton (7-1) programme - with some autographs including John Barnes. The menu from a Watford Sporting Club event - signed by Jimmy Hill - as my Father used to get invited to a few such things. Some more autographs from a charity event at the local squash club...(actually I've got loads, the players seemed so much more approachable when I was a child). There's a photo of a young me with Steve Sims somewhere.

Later on, when I was a student at Exeter I even wrote to the club - then managed by Steve Perryman - about a player...who went on to achieve absolutely nothing after some early promise! I was a good two years before he started to be spoken about though, so I'd like to think I had a good eye. :Wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Phillips_(footballer)

Finally, and not connected with Watford, my Father was once staying in an hotel - which just happened to be the same one that the Liverpool team (about 1979/80) were staying in ahead of an away game. Obviously, in those days they had dinner in the restaurant with everybody else, so he just went to their table and got them to sign a sheet of paper for me. Quite a few household names on there...:Smile:

IMG_0437. IMG_0438. IMG_0439. IMG_0440. IMG_0441. IMG_0442. IMG_0443. IMG_0444.

Lisbon likes this.
  10. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Started a football thread you two ? I've got a 1965 FA cup final ticket somewhere in the loft along with all kinds of other stuff !

@FirstHonda impressive collection from top to bottom
    Phil Neal Steve Heighway Graeme Souness. David Johnson David Faircloigh. Sammy Lee Alan Hansen Kenny Dalglish. Howard Gayle and Ray Kennedy.
    image.

exec and FirstHonda like this.
  11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ Those were proper players, not the dross we have in the team now!

12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

And they signed their names properly, not just some squiggle done as fast as possible!

exec likes this.
  13. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    So why do you want to hide the fact you follow Watford online???:Unknown:

exec likes this.
  14. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    https://startpage.com is another good one, not to be tracked by google, and results are comming from google search engine but through anonymizer servers

SpeedyGee likes this.
  15. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Been using duckduckgo for a long time now... I'll also not be upgrading to Windows 10, and have made sure that updates are not applied to mine or any other machine I maintain. I have to manually apply updates now to make sure that the tracking and data collection updates they rolled out to windows 7, 8 & 8.1 which come turn3ed on by default in Win10... are never applied to any machine I maintain. I've also disabled the GWX updates from being installed on any machine.

Another tip is not to use either IE, Edge or Chrome... But stick to firefox (currently v43 and up) with the following plugins. Adblock Plus, NoScript, Privacy Badger.

You'd be quite shocked to find out just how many tracking cookies most sites try to install... some popular sites can have upwards of 20.... even HK isn't free from them.

16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The amount of spyware that runs on Windows 10 is shocking to be honest, how Microsoft thinks it's acceptable, I set one up few weeks back at work for a user and I don't know how this is going to be suitable for corporate environment because some of the settings you can't switch off and they will be in breach of data guidelines and laws, although I hear Microsoft are planning on setting up European based datacenters.