Tyres & Wheels Alternatives to Yokohamas

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by howard, Monday 13th May, 2013.

1. howard Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I have a 2011 2.2 auto I-DTEC and the tyres are due for renewal. My local tyre fitter is suggesting a few alternatives

kumho Ku39 and Hankook 115s, has anyone had any experience of these or could recommend anything else ?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would personally stick with Yokohama ,Bridgestone or Michelin tyres. those two tyres are entry level budget tyres ideal for taxi IMHO.

3. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dunlop Sport Maxx RT - you won't regret it

4. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Nothing wrong with the KU39 good road holding in wet and dry and performed well in the snow to.
    Biggest issue with them is there is no rim protector despite what kumho say, a problem they are well aware of.
    They lasted me about 16k on the front rears hardly worn done same mileage as the fronts and have about 5.5 - 5mm left. Fronts due a change soon but will prob have done around 18k so wear not bad.
    They may be budget but performance is very good. I have the 2.2 also 225 45 17s

Noise is ok even at the low tread depth which the fronts are at. Motorway speeds are fine, do tram a little now they are low but no prob really and only just started.

Will prob replace with a Yokohama c drive as I like these and had before better protection for rims but handling very little in it.
    IMO

No idea about Hankook never had them but they do get some good reviews.

5. howard Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,
    Should have mentioned I have the 18" Sigmas fitted. I notice Blackcircle do a Yokohama Advan Sport V105s as well as the V103, anyone had experience of them ?

6. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've BF Goodrich Grip on the front. £130 a tyre Very responsive and seem good enough. I've got the Hankook K115s at the rear which Id like to change to the front.

Both tyres have a B rating for wet grip and are 69db so theyre are a quite tyre too. Hankooks have a B on Fuel so Id go for Hankkoks all round. I Know some RB5 owners rated Hankooks a few years back and prefered them over P-Zero Neros.

Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance is a better tyre but more money again.

7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had those on the Accord - only because I couldn't get the Eagle F1's. Even so, a damn good tyre - personally I think Yoko's are crap and soft, and would never buy Hankook.Tyres are the only things that connect your car to the road - people who skimp here are idiots. All very well getting a £50000 remap, but want to spend less than £100 on four tyres. Sheer lunacy. :Blink:

8. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hankook K115s got really good reviews and are £130. Progressive grip. great performance etc. Have you had a bad experience with them?

I had some Kuhmos Ecsta sports on a Auto celica 10 years ago and only got 6k/ 12 months out of them. I've never bought kuhmos again but I hear that they are ok now.

BF Goodrich are made by Michelin by the way so may be better than the Hankooks but until I can put them on the front I won't know.

9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes I had some Hankooks (can't recall exact spec now) on my old Calibra - granted, this aint recent, but these were £95 a corner and were shocking in the wet, no grip, cornering was woeful and the thread wore down after 6000 miles.

Never again. Goodyear all the way for me.

10. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thats exactly the same problem I had. You sure you didnt have Khumos on?? Mine were absolutley awful in the wet and understeerd to buggery why I didnt change sooner is beyond me! I have a feeling tyres have got better since then and that I should give Khumos a try at some point.

The Bf Goodrichs actually seem good in the wet with brand new tread any way. We'll see what they're like when they wear. Once I get the Hankooks put on the front Ill report back. :Thumbup:

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    :Aghast: :Aghast: :Aghast:

12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Definitely were not Kumho - never ever bought those tyres.

They were Hankook. Serves me right for betraying Goodyear! Which I will never ever ever ever do again!

13. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Khumo or at least the KU39s are fine no issues at all with them other than they don't have any rim protection. The original tyres i had on my car were pirelli on the front and mitcilin on the rear which i swapped around soon after purchase as pirelli were so bad. The Khumoh are no worse than either of these and far superior to the p600 I think that's what they were. Either way they ended up in a skip which was the best place for them.
    Never tried Hankook but most of what I hear about their current sports tyres is good. I also don't mind the Avon ZV5 but they are a little soft but a good all round tyre and better than the older ZV3 which is a little cheaper. Well priced tyre don't have to be cheap Chinese crap shop about and there are some good deals on line. Personally and like Cj and some others I think the Yokis are hard to fault.
    I wouldn't buy Dunlop Goodyear as think they are pants value for money but that's just me. My wife only ever has Goodyears on her cars and loves them. Interestingly her new car came with Yokis from the factory and they handle great even she admits they are very good but I know what they will end up being replaced with :Smile:

Last edited: Tuesday 14th May, 2013
  14. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Uniroyal RainSport 2:

The best tyres i've had on my present car (Alfa 156) have been Uniroyal RainSport 2's.
    These are designed for the wet (well, i do live in Scotland) and the grip in the wet is exceptional, dry is good.
    I usually managed to get them for around £110 a corner, i'll look to see how much they are in my Accord tyre size (225/50 R17 98V).

The tyres that are currently on the Accord i'm getting soon are "Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D", which have a good reputation as a winter tyre (with good dry/wet performance), but cost a fair whack (about £140 a corner).

I've previously used Toyo Proxies, which were pretty good in the dry, not great in the wet and were quite soft so they wore fast.
    Also a number of various makes of cheaper tyres including some Hankooks (which were ok for the money), but none of these stood out.

Where do you guys get your tyres from?
    I've been using these x3 sites for a number of years now, Camskills tend to have the best prices.

Camskill (tyres only) Cheap Tyres Discount Tyres Buy Tyres Online & Japanese Import Car Parts Spares Tuning Performance Servicing Accessories
    Etyres (tyres only, or including fitting) Tyres - Cheap Tyres + Free Fitting at Home or Work UK Wide - etyres
    Black Circles (tyres only) Tyres Online | Cheap Tyres | Winter Tyres & Car Servicing UK

Cheers, Mark.

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've got two new ones of these on the front, although it seems I should have put them on the back! They do seem very good in the wet, especially when braking. I've noticed that they do have a slight tramline feeling when dead cold but after 30 secs of driving it goes away.

16. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Everyone that I know of that has had Toyo Proxies always mentions that they wear down fast.

Cheap &/or crap rubber compound and absymal "performance" tyre if ever there was one. Overpriced too.

17. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The Hankook K115s have decent dry grip so far. I didnt push them to them hard but was still doing 70mph round twisty country lanes with all 4 wheels on the ground. I did notice they were quite a bit more stable over uneven surfaces too compared to the BF Goodrich. I just need to see what whet grip is like next.

18. sword906 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I would suggest Goodyear Eagle Asymetric 2. They have just the right balance between wet/dry grip. I have covered 45,000 miles in them. Tyre wear is average and snow performance is very poor.

SweAccord likes this.
  19. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd have to disagree - I found those tyres to be excellent in the snow. Gripped the road like it had tyre chains on.

20. howard Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Have decided to stick with Yokohama, not the 103s but the new 105s which have better ratings and coming in at £138.4 a corner from Tyreshopper got to be worth a try !