General Alternator Bearing Finally Started Clicking Today

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Accord_N22, Sunday 30th Nov, 2014.

1. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi All,

After having changed to the new belt routing in April I thought I'd managed to get away without changing the alternator bearings. It would seem not as it started to click today after a long drive.

Could people confirm this is the clicking sound they hear with the alternator bearings are knackered?

Will be changing both bearings in the alternator
    it is only the alternator bearings that get damaged?

Alternator Bearing RR Item 5
    Part number: 31111PT0003

Alternator Bearing FR Item 6
    Part number: 31114PGKA01

Is there anything else I should change in the AUX belt area whilst I am getting the alternator work done?
    INI alternator pulley? item 10 (alternator diagram)
    auto tensioner Idler pulley? item 4 (aux pulley diagram)

E__3610_zps0ae05194.

E__3600_zps7c7cd169.

What are peoples thoughts? Would it be easier just to change the Alternator? Pricey I know but is it an easier job?

It is still ok to drive with the alternator bearings in this condition or should I stop using the car ASAP. What would the consequences be?
    Thanks for your help guys

Last edited: Sunday 30th Nov, 2014
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Take the belt off again and run the engine to make sure there is no noise with the belt off. Check all the pulleys by spinning them with your hand and you will feel it.

If it is the alternator I would say repair the alternator, alternator won't fail the noise will get louder as the bearing get battered.

Accord_N22 and Nighthawk like this.
  3. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's what mine sounded like.

4. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thanks ichiban. Noted: I will ensure all pulleys are checked when the belt is removed.
    Unfortunately I won't be able to do it myself. I don't have the tensioner tool. Sometimes I feel I should invest in one but would only see a handful of times where I would use it.

@Dave, did you find anything else needed changing when you did yours?

Used the car today for work and the sound disappeared, pretty sure it will return though.

5. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I just stuck a recon alternator on it mate was the easiest option for me.

Accord_N22 likes this.
  6. Tanna Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Any updates on what happened about this and what parts were replaced?

Cheers.

7. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I have just bought a new alternator, I don't have the tool to release the aux belt tensioner so I have called upon my personal friend mechanic to assist me this Saturday.
    I will keep this thread updated on what happens

Ichiban likes this.
  8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hope it all goes well for you @Accord_N22. :Smile:
    Certainly better than hitting the shops on Saturday. :gotcha:

9. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

LOL thanks @Nels
    I hope so too. should be a straight swap
    I was thinking of buying the tensioner tool as i would love to give it a go myself but had a thought and I would probably not use the tensioner tool again unless something else goes within the aux belt area, and if I came across those rusty bolts which hold the lower fan shroud I would be kinda stuck.
    I thought it would probably be much easier to pay my mechanic friend £45 to do the alternator swap (I always try to avoid any car work in the winter)

Nels likes this.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I'm not keen on doing these type of jobs in the winter either. Trying to start bolts off in hard to reach areas when you can't feel your fingers from the cold is no fun. :thumbdown:

hondream likes this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup I hate working out in the open at this time of the year, no matter what you do things never go to plan in the cold. At times you wish you had a big heated garage.

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:Whistle: You'll have to pop in one day @Ichiban, when you're in this neck of the woods.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You sod you got a heated garage!! :BooYeah:yes mate I will nip by to your and speedy's and hopefully zoo zoo also.

14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I never said that. I was just inviting you round for a cuppa.:Tea:

DeviateDefiant and Ichiban like this.
  15. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

LOL - you guys are lucky having garages lol.
    Yep - things never really go to plan in the cold. As your don't have good feeling in your hands and plus always worrying about the time as there is limited daylight in the winter
    I remember doing the missus brakes on a puma one winter weekend and ran into trouble with one of the calliper pins . it started to get dark and I started to get really annoyed, angry and peeved. Never a good thing. sorted it in the end though - lol.

16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I've worked on and under plenty of cars outside in the cold and wet.
    One of my, 'had to have' on our house was a garage. I try and plan all mechanical work for the warmer months. That way, it's just the unexpected things that get done in the winter.

Nighthawk likes this.
  17. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Just to update and conclude this thread. The alternator swap on Saturday was a success.
    My personal mechanic friend didn't have a long tensioner removal tool so he did it the old skool way with a long pry bar to gently move the tensioner to release the belt.
    We added a bolt to where the additional idler pulley was which gave the pry bar somewhere to lean against.
    Quite worried but It was really successful, I suppose mechanics are used to improvising when the proper tools aren't available.

The lower fan bolts weren't too bad and came loose quite easily.

All in all a successful swap despite the really cold conditions, it was really cold - lol
    The car is running really quietly now :Smile:

Thanks everyone for the support and help

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Excellent news @Accord_N22 and glad to hear the problem's resolved :Smile:

Accord_N22 likes this.
  19. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

thanks @DeviateDefiant
    I am glad its sorted too and nothing else was wrong.. I was starting to miss the relaxed refinement of the Accord and using the Prelude for the commute for the last two weeks was starting to get expensive - lol
    Was great fun though :Smile: can't get enough of VTEC

20. Tanna Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Great turnaround.

Just a few questions though... were did you get your refurbished alternator and was it rebuilt with Genuine Honda parts or did you get a brand new Honda unit?

Mine is early stages at the momment. What were your symptoms did you get a noise from cold thats apparent when the car was cold upto 1500rpm?