Engine & Gearbox Alternator belt change 2.4 petrol

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by tonygw, Monday 2nd Mar, 2015.

1. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys

Probably a simple job but like to check before I start with the experts on here.

I need to change the altenator belt as the indicator is showing just out of tolerance.
    I had a go at releasing the tensioner but it seems there is a lot more tension than I originally anticipated.

Any tips for doing the job.
    Is it just a case of a long bar on the tensioner, a lot of brute force to release it to remove the belt and then same again to allow the new one to be fitted?

Do I need to access under the car as it looks pretty tight around the crank to get my weedy arms in..

Also is there any harm in starting the car without the belt fitted (apart from the battery not charging) I want to listen as I get a whining noise when its cold and wondering if its one of the pulleys or not.

Thanks
    Tony

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yes, pretty much you need good leverage and plenty of force.

You don't need access under the car but having the offside wheel off will help you get belt of the crank pulley.

No harm in running the engine without the belt for diagnostic purposes.

This pic shows the the belt routing

Screenshot 2015-03-02 17.26.50.

hondream likes this.
  3. nemiers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland
    Same as k20, just belt length is little different.
    I change mine with 2 wrenches, much harder to do, but possible.
    No need to access belt from down, just bend it and push down, hardest part is to get it
    around crank and ac pulleys, rest is easy.
    Most likely whine is from tensioner pulleys bearing! With belt off check for play in bearing, also if tensioners pulley spins freely its an indicator that its gone.
    Also ac bearings tend to make noise, and alternator could be the one.
    Check my videos maybe noises are similar:
    nemiers - YouTube

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Like so :-
    2013-02-23 13.25.31.

Just be careful using this method as there is a chance of slipping and either hurting yourself or damaging something.

nauest likes this.
  5. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

much appreciated guys.

I did think about the two spanner method as its pretty tight I couldn't get my crack bar on the pulley as there wasnt enough space so was thinking about using a dual spanner combination as shown.

Need to find another spare hour when I can have another go. Car has done 90K so I guess the tensioner pulley could be a bit worn as its been spinning for 10 years lol

6. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    I did it like this too, works fine.

7. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    DSC_1563.JPG
    - - - Updated - - -
    Not very legit but works well!

8. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

That looks like a good method to :Smile: