Engine & Gearbox Alternator belt removal

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Ga73, Friday 27th Mar, 2015.

1. Ga73 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Liverpool
    Hi all,
    Well new alternator and shorter belt waiting to go on the car cdti (thanks micky) but can anyone give me a pointer on how to release the tensioner, I've tried the two ring spanners and no joy.. Can't get a socket in there as it's too tight... Anyone give me some inspiration or a tool that's available that doesn't cost a fortune!

Thanks guys

2. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Cheltenham
    i have a belt tension tool that I used on a couple of my older Hondas' but discovered it doesn't have the correct sized socket for my CR-V gen 3 so I resorted to a ring spanner over the tensioner nut and a piece of small bore metal tubing put over the open spanner end.
    - - - Updated - - -
    In fact the small bore tube was the long spark plug socket

3. Ga73 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Liverpool
    Hmm thanks, I'll give that a go tomorrow

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  5. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I've just changed the belt and tensioner on my 2.4 petrol, space is a bit tight so am guessing its pretty similar on the diesel version.
    I think the tensioner bolt on the pulley is 12 or 13mm. I used one of my halfords professional spanners on the ring end and another larger spanner linked onto the top to give me the leverage I needed. If you have a ring spanner with a slight bend at one end it might help get a better purchase on the tensioner bolt.

Then its just a case of leaning really hard on the spanner to push the tensioner. You might need a blnt screw driver or something to prize the belt off the pulley and then just feed the belt out of the depths of the engine bay.

Its a bit of a faff to get the new belt on, I used a very long screw driver to push thre belt gently onto the crank and bottom pulleys. Once its half in position it seem to fal naturally onto the top pulleys. Needs a bit of force to get it over the power steering pump pulley so be careful not to tear the belt while doing so to get it back on.

Funnly enough I also tried a ratchet which like you says wouldn't fit. However one of my cheap nasty slim ratchets from pound land (LOL) fitted superbly and did help me get one of the tensioner bolts loose.

I find a good selection of similar tools is always a bit advantage.

Good luck

Tony

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Why did you need to get the tensioner bolts loose Tony ?

Absolutely, you can never have enough tools :Grin:

7. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I replaced the tensioner, its was a bit erm "grumbly" so while I did the belt I replaced the tensioner too. Wasnt to difficult in the end once I managed to get the right tools to fit.

Sorry I was in a bit of a rush and didnt get chance to do a proper write up or any pictures.
    But if anybody needs any help let me know.

There are three bolts holding the tensioner on to the engine, one in the middle which is easy to see, one under the power steering pump and one very hidden bolt on the rear/ bottom part of the tensioner. Almost impossible to see but you can just get your fingers on it, I used a cheap ratchet and a deep 12mm socket which just fitted onto the bolt (I don't like using cheap tools normally!) but larger ratchets will not fit in the gap. :Smile:

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Oh I see, hadn't realised you replaced your tensioner.