Electrical & Lights Alternator fault

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by kes, Saturday 11th Apr, 2015.

1. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone,

Did a 100 mile trip in the car today and have recently fitted my scangauge as was wanting to monitor water temperature. I noticed the battery voltage would drop from charging ie 14.2V to 12.6/7V. It was intermittent but worried it might fail and leave me stranded one day. My car already has the shorter belt fitted too. I did check it with a multimeter to confirm also.
    I take it this means replacing the alternator? Alternatorman has them for £110 and I see a continental belt from cp4l on eBay too for £13.50. Is this my best route to go down and does my diagnosis sound correct? Anything else to do at the same time?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    So other than spotting the lower voltage values, you don't currently have any alternator failure symptoms ?

3. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Correct, just been reading some more info on this and could it be possible the car has Honda electronic load detector which regulates the voltage output to maximise fuel efficiency? Seems it would cause the same voltage drop, also the voltage tends to jump back upto 14v+ as you accelerate and go down to 12v+ when decelerating or cruising.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's along the lines of what I was thinking too. Watch the voltage and kick the A/C in whilst stationary, see what happens.

Also @kes, you could do with adding your car to the Club Garage. It helps to to help you as we can instantly see what car you have as it will appear at the bottom of every post.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @kes can you please add your car to the garage as speedy says it makes give help to you and others better as we know which car you have. Here is a guide How to add your vehicle to the Club Garage

6. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes will do, brothers been driving the car recently so waiting to get it back and take a picture.
    On a note about the alternator, it definitely seems to be normal just incase anyone comes across this in the future.