Electrical & Lights Alternator issues

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by christy77, Friday 13th Nov, 2015.

1. christy77 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris
    Hi,

I started the car this evening (2.2ctdi facelift model) and the battery not charging light came on. I checked and the battery is losing charge. Whine coming from engine as well that gets louder on acceleration.
    Not sure is it the alternator or a pulley/belt.
    Any advice appreciated

Thanks
    Chris

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. christy77 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris
    No will check tomorrow. Have been reading about that. Did they not fix with the facelift?
    It has 180k miles so not bad if it has long belt.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Not all facelift had them a few hundred sneaked out they should have been picked up at dealers when it came in for a service., If your car didn't go to the dealers then its none the wiser.

5. christy77 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris
    FHSH for first 140k miles. Irish dealers though sometimes "miss" these things.

6. christy77 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris
    Still long belt on. Is it better to change it? Bearing in mind that the Indy mechanic I go to won't know what I am talking about. Appears that the Honda dealers don't know either over this side of the water.

If I just put in a new alternator am I likely to get another 150k miles before the issue reappears?

7. blackbeard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England England Kent
    It is the stress placed on the alternator bearing by the short run of belt from the idler pulley to the alternator pulley that can lead to it's bearing failure.It's removal and a shorter belt lessens this stress.

Ichiban's link in the second post is the guide to look at.

You do not need use a Honda brand shortened belt I used this one :-

Alternator if you want aftermarket :-

ALT709CP|Alternator|Alternators|UK

If you can do it yourself even better you just bin the old idler and fit the parts you've bought yourself.

You've done well to get 180,000 mls out of any alternator if it's the original.