Electrical & Lights Alternator replacement with increase output?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by mustnap, Saturday 23rd Jul, 2016.

1. mustnap Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Malaysia mustnap Kuala Lumpur
    Hi guys. A question that i have. I have been planning to add some extra electronics onto my car (LED, better speaker, amp, new headunit etc) - but i wonder, would my car be able to cope with the extra stuff?

Recently i noticed that at night, with engine running while the car is stationery, the battery power dried out after 10 minutes or so! (EPS light suddenly appear, and ABS light as well). After revving the car for a couple of minutes, the lights went away. So here is what i gather

1. My battery needs to be replaced
    2. I need to replace my alternator

I went to a battery shop and asked about this. The shop owner tested the voltage as well as the current - while the engine is running and when i rev the engine. He said the battery will need changing soon BUT he noted that the alternator is not giving enough output (when I rev) - it could be due to me having a DRL and swapping my headlight to stock Honda HID (taken from a CL7 from Japan). While the car is running (being driven), all electronics will work fine and the battery will still be charged - but if it stationary (during slow traffic, or while being parked) , there is a high possibility that the battery will run out of juice. And right now the alternator is also making a whining sound (but it is still working).

So now i will replace the battery and the alternator, but i would like to know if there is a way for me to get an alternator for K20A6 engine that can produce higher output should i want to add more electronics that will consume more power .

Is it possible and is such alternator exists? (I wonder how people with modded stereo/extra LED light handle the power issue)

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    @chris2982 might be able to advise you on this one as they do audio builds so must be using uprated charging and batteries to power things up.

chris2982 likes this.
  3. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    .Here to help if I can :Smile:

What sort of power amps will you be looking at running??
    - - - Updated - - -
    unless you are looking to be doing a huge system upping the alternator is really not going to be needed...

4. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

would be best to go with an AGM Battery to run in replacement of the standard one.
    I deal with XS Power and Stinger ,, both of which do a direct drop in for Honda.

I was using the XS Power version while running around 2500 watts RMS and had no issues.

I was going to upgrade the alternator aswell as 3 more of the batteries when I was going to be running upwards of 10k watts but have since decided to go SQ in the FR-V and spl in the logo.

this is the Stinger one
    Stinger SPP1500dc - Allwoods Audio

the XS Power one currently isn't in stock so not on the site but they are both the same price (which is cheaper for members obviously :Smile: )

legend-ary likes this.
  5. mustnap Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Malaysia mustnap Kuala Lumpur
    well i was looking to change the head unit with something else, plus add some lights at the back, with other accessories. amp/stereo woofer will come way later. But just a bit concerned that adding all those electronics will cause the car to consume more power than the rate the alternator might be able to recharge the battery.

so i was thinking, maybe i need to change the alternator to something better - considering that it is time to change the alternator and battery anyway.

6. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

what output is your current alternator??
    you will be surprised on how much running a decent AGM battery will handle.