Electrical & Lights Alternator Replacement

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Tris, Wednesday 6th Aug, 2014.

1. Tris Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tris South West
    Managed to get the new alternator fitted today. Bit of a fiddle and very tight but a job well done. Pleasing to see 14V on the multimeter once it was in!

If anyone is planning on doing one and need any pointers feel free to drop me a message. Was quoted £300 for an alternator from local garages and £116 labour!

I bought mine from Ebay for £109 reconditioned and did all the work myself. So a £307 saving and every bolt was cleaned up and refitted with copper grease and I cleaned alot of the engine bay up whilst waiting for the new one to arrive. Enjoyed it and looking forward to the next project.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Did you take any photos of the job as you went along?
    If so, you could write up a DIY to help others.

3. Tris Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tris South West
    Unfortunately not but there is a short guide on here with some pictures. If anyone is planning to do the job I will write up a summary of the order I did things shortly to assist. don't be scared of it the engine bay is like a jigsaw puzzle but it is easy enough

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Good work @Tris, savings aside there's nothing like the satisfaction of fixing a problem on your car yourself :Thumbup:

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good job Tris !