General Always clean your car!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RobsyUK, Monday 30th May, 2016.

1. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    image. image. image.

As per other threads I have you may be aware that my car has been to three garages regarding the brakes.

Sadly over the 2 months of all sorts of people touching it I haven't had a chance to clean Willy until today.

To say I'm pretty pissed is an understatement!

All 4 alloys that didn't have a single mark are now all ruined with brake fluid residue.
    There's even finger prints that are indented in the alloy.

Went to clean the wheels today as they are extremely grubby with dust and what I thought was oil.

I'm sure it was the garage who installed the brake pipes as the other 2 garages wouldn't need to bleed the brakes to change discs and pads or go near the front end.

I wish I had cleaned them the moment I got the car home as I did hate them looking nasty.

The pictures really don't show how bad they are.

So if you ever have work done check the car after!!!!

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Sorry to read this Rob.

If any of my cars have to go in to a garage, they are always clean to start with. I take a set of photographs just before I hand over the keys, and let them know that I've done this.
    To date, it's done the trick.

3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    As @Nels said Always clean Willy before taking it to someone :happycrying:

AccordCU2, RobsyUK and chris2982 like this.
  4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:Rolf::Rolf: :lol: :Rolf: :lol:

5. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Sorry to say will probably eat through the lacquer , take it back if not happy. Many years ago a young apprentice was helping work on my old Vauxhall ventora. It was in for a leaky rear wheel cylinder, he took off the wheel and lent it on rear door ! Took all the paint off !

6. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Unfortunately brake fluid is pretty aggressive on paint I've seen a friend of mine got up one morning to find someone had poured it on the roof of his car and it just reacted with the paint and took it off just like that paint remover stuff you can buy.
    How long ago did you age the brakes bled? It might be worth going back to them and confronting them with this if not too long ago.

7. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

@MickyB it was around 4 weeks ago.
    I'm going today and going to push that I only cleaned the car this weekend (as I did)

MickyB likes this.
  8. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good luck with it .

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:whathesaid:

MickyB likes this.
  10. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

So I went there and they are clever.

They told me to come back this afternoon when the boss is back.

Then they instantly said they would have taken all 4 wheels off to put the brake pipes on as its tight to get in there.
    They also said that their machine wouldn't fit behind the wheel to bleed the brakes but I'm sure this is just a rubber hose.

They also added that I've only had the car a few months and it was probably already there and me washing it has brought them up.

I know this is tosh as I've cleaned the car endless times and never have seen them.

I noticed the marks when picking it up and really wish I had cleaned them that day and followed it up.
    Instead I've waited and. It's cost me.
    It's annoying and makes it look more like I'll have to get some 18's.

So from now on I'll not only name a note of marks etx but I'll defiantly be telling others to keep an eye out.

The sad thing is that while waiting there the several times I've been waiting for something they get calls and i hear them saying one reason or another to why something isn't done.

It's safe to say I will by be going back there.

11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I had a brake fluid bottle that I used and put back in the spare wheel area in the boot, not long after it leaked all out, i think i didnt put the cap back on properly, I didn't notice this after a few days and didn't make much of the drips on the floor as I thought theres nothing there that would hold oil, when I check the spare wheel area there was brake fluid everywhere, it stripped a bit of paint from the boot floor, cleaned it all out, havent looked under there in a long while, hopefully all is well.

So a lesson there, if your going to store fluid in the boot, make sure its tight and securely in place.!

12. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    I've also just done that with 4L of engine oil, oh well might hold off the tin worm for a while.

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Engine oil should be more forgiving, brake fluid has the same effect as paint thinner.

14. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well don't look in the boot it might not be there:Grin:

exec likes this.