Pre-Facelift Model Am I expecting too much

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by J Smooth, Monday 26th Sep, 2016.

1. J Smooth New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Jack Leicester
    Really fancy an FR-V, and went to have a look at a 2005 2.0 in black a few weeks ago. Really nice to drive and 10 Honda service stamps along with fairly low (Just over 50k) mileage. However it was a bit tatty inside scratches here and there and the outside was even worse LOTS of little scratches and a few dings and 1 or 2 rust spots on the roof. It had 1 previous lady owner.

I know its a 11 year old car and black always shows marks fairly badly, but at a cost of 4.5K its not breaking the bank. I thought about getting it wrapped but that obviously adds allot to the cost. Opinions appreciated.

2. DrSam Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    I would check the MOT history online. I seen a few FR-V's with the millage clocked back

RobsyUK likes this.
  3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Is this from a main dealer?
    Any car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, so that's one for you to decide upon.

Most minor scratches can be sorted out with a good electric polisher. Rust and dings/dents are another matter. As for the interior, a good, deep clean can always improve things, but without any picture it's difficult to give you a better answer.

Mechanically, you need to give her a thorough test drive. If you don't know what to look for, or how to recognise possible issues, take someone with you that does.

4. DrSam Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
  5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    FRVs practicality itself is a pro and a con. They are wonderfully capable vehicles which means they are owned by families with kids who kick about every conceivable surface inside the car and because these do a lot supermarket and school runs they pick up battle scars day in day out.

Wrapping is not a practical option and because there are always quite a few of them for sale at any given time I would suggest that you take your time and get one with right mix of dents, scratches and mileage.;D

One with too low mileage like this one means it has hard a hard life doing endless short runs in the city full of kids hence the condition.

Ben28, RogerH69 and FirstHonda like this.
  6. J Smooth New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Jack Leicester
    True, it was really nice to drive but just the state of the paint was a bit of a let down. I will keep my eye out for another.
    Thanks for the advice.

7. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I think legendary has a point about lots of short runs and if it's in that state with low milage it hasn't realy beem looked after that well. Personaly I would keep looking, there are more than you think out there, especially if you're prepared to travel.

RogerH69 likes this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Jack any luck in finding another one?