General Amber Warning light showing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gordon, Monday 15th Oct, 2012.

1. gordon New Member Getting Started

Hello evryone, my name is Gordon and I have just purchased a W reg Honda HR-V that runs like a dream.
    Today I have noticed a amber/orange warning light keep coming up on the dash, it has the outline of an engine on it
    Any ideas please?
    Gordon

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Gordon.

Welcome to AOC :Hey:could you take a picture of this warning light , I assume it is the MIL Malfunction Indicator Lamp but need to be sure it is .

Could you tell us what has changed on your car recently for that to come on.

3. gordon New Member Getting Started

Hello
    Thanks for your reply
    I have had the car for 3 weeks now and nothing has changed
    As I said it is a W reg petrol manual, 1598 CC and the amber light is on the left hand side of the dials above the oil and battery indicators
    Many thanks for taking the trouble to try to help
    Gordon

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    well it could be a defective o2 sensor or something else , without getting the car ECU read I am afraid it a guessing game.
    Can you get the ECU read locally ?

5. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

CJ will this do blink codes? My W reg Civic did just bridge 2 wires on the diagnostics plug.

6. gordon New Member Getting Started

Dave

Thanks for taking the time to look at my problem
    As I am not mechanically minded can you please esplain what a "CJ" is and where would I find the diagnostice plug
    When I bridge that plug would the warning light go out? and what would that prove
    Thanks
    Gordon

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    What's a CJ?

Some say his belly button is in the shape of a Honda logo. Others say he is the secret love child of Soichiro Honda.

We know him best as IchibanAccord, the forum owner. :Smile:

Ichiban likes this.
  8. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Sorry if it looked like we're taking the mickey Gordon, but CJ is IchibanAccord, the guy who posted earlier on this thread, so it was pretty funny when you said "What is a CJ".

To be honest you're probably best asking a garage to read the electronic fault code which will be stored in the electronic brain of the car, chances are the problem is a faulty oxygen sensor, but it could be many things, and until the code is read you'll never know.

The bad news is that if you need a new one they are expensive, Honda charge £250 maybe for them, but if you're lucky you might find a second hand one on ebay from a car breaker for a lot less.

Last edited: Monday 15th Oct, 2012
  9. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup that is deffo a way to do it.. I will look it up :Wink:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Funny that I was left out of the SH will, he didn't leave me a penny. :Aghast:

12. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I got an NGK O2 sensor for the Civic it was around £70 alot cheaper than a Honda one and that was 5 years ago so they may have come down a bit more.

As for Blink Codes, you take a bit of wire and connect 2 terminals in a plug turn the ignition on and the orange engine light on the dash flashes and pulses repeatedly giving you the error code.

However I would wait for CJ/Ichiban to give you the full instructions on/if it is possible on your car as it was along time ago when I last did it.

13. MAL Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Gordon, would give the oil level a wee dip first. not much to go wrong with them really. usually either VTEC malfunction due to low/very dirty oil or oxy sensor as others have said. got a cheap oxy sensor in eurocarparts recently, might be worth pricing them too.

SayamaAccord likes this.