ICE & HFT Amplifier phono pre outs on standard stereo? or Premium Sound System unit?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Rakoribs, Tuesday 26th Mar, 2013.

1. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I recently test drove a 2010 ES GT and the stereo (standard) was pretty flat and distorted at quite low volumes.
    Are there pre-out's on any of the Honda stereo units?
    And if so is the quality of the pre-outs worth amplifying into decent speakers?

I can't see any way you could fit a decent quality aftermarket stereo unit without serious dashboard hacking, so it looks like you're stuck with the standard built in unit?

Many thanks.
    Regards, Mark.

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No idea what the ES GT system sounds like, but I have no complaints with the Premium one in my car (except for the odd blown speaker that were replaced under warranty).

As for an aftermarket unit - suppose its do-able, but as you say, the amount of dashboard surgery/hacking you would need to do, I personally do not think its worth the time or money. Not sure about the pre-outs ; maye CJ can tell you.

3. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Problem with a kit like that is that it won't work for EX/Type-S cars, as the display panel is required for the climate control and for the SatNav controller as well (possibly leaving the SatNav screen redundant).

More hassle than is possible worth.

5. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd suggest listening to a premium stereo to compare. As its got extra speakers and sub it should give a much fuller sound. Plus you'll get sat nav and reverse cam.:Thumbup: I'm happy with my premium system but I have changed my front speakers. They're really easy to change too. It goes pretty loud and the quality is good enough for me especially when I compare it to my B&W home speakers.

There is a member that has added amps and aftermarket subs to their 8th Generation but used high level input from the original speaker wires to go to the amps instead of phonos.

6. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

7. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys,

No pre-outs if someone had to use the high level speaker outputs to drive an external amp.
    Aftermarket - agreed it looks like a definite no, not interested in that level of modding, but good to be aware of whats possible.

I would be more than willing to upgrade some of the speakers, but only if the Honda head unit was capable of providing the power and quality to make the upgrade worth it.
    Its sounds like the premium system is worth it.

Cheers, Mark.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks.

Is the 'SatNav + Premium Sound System + CD changer + reversing camera' always come as a group?
    Ie, if a cars has one of those items as part of its spec or upgraded spec, it will always have all of that group?

Handy to know if thats true as that is the group i would want (& have seen some of the group on a car for sale i'm interested in... although its 330 miles away...).

Cheers, Mark.

Last edited: Wednesday 27th Mar, 2013
  8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Standard on EX, EX GT and Type-S.

Although there are some, not all, ES GT that have the SatNav as well (although I have never sat in an ES GT so can't tell you if it has the premium sounds system).

9. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

So its standard as a group on that spec of car, but if you have a lower spec car and have upgraded they are likely available separately and probably don't come as a job-lot.

I'm looking at a ES GT (as far as my money will stretch), which has the SatNav and the CD changer + the reversing camera - but i don't know if it has the premium sound system.
    I've seen you can tell by the sub & badge in the boot, but there are no boot pics, don't know if there are any tell tale signs on the face unit?
    I'll find out soon.
    Cheers, Mark.

Last edited: Wednesday 27th Mar, 2013
  10. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

As far as I know the Sat Nav includes the premium audio and subwoofer, reversing camera etc. Its all one package.

Premium audio is part of the Advanced Nav pack on the ES GT.

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/_assets/downloads/accordsaloon/Accord_Saloon.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

Apart from the subwoofer in the boot, you lose the cubby hole in front of the gear stick, this is where the CD changer sits, with a 'Premium Audio' badge on it...

Also there is a small screen on the top of the radio for the heater display, where as on the standard model this is displayed on the big screen on top of the dash.

The Acura TSX handbook explains it quite well also:

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/BTS090/BTS0909OM.pdf

11. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As Richsprint said:Thumbup:

I was initially after an ES GT too and there were quite a few that had been upgraded with the Advanced Nav pack. I'd just look to see if it had got the large monitor screen then Id now it had the decent stereo:Wink: Its definitely loud enough.

I went for the EX GT in the end as it had Xenons and heated seats plus other things but it did cost more.

12. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks m8, thats good news :Smile:
    Mark.

- - - Updated - - -

Ditto :Smile:
    (gah... you can't enter less than 10 chars for a reply...)

13. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

Still looking for a car to view this weekend and have a few more questions (the one i was looking it has just sold, the next one is still 320 miles away from me...).

The Honda Accord spec pdf Richsprint provided states that the Advanced Navigation pack includes:
    - Voice recognition DVD Sat Nav.
    - GPS dual climate control.
    - Premium Audio system with 6 CD changer & subwoofer (10 speakers).

QUESTION:
    But there's no mention of the rear camera, is that a separate option then?
    As in I can't assume the car has one just because it visibly has one of the others in the Nav pack.

QUESTION:
    Also, does the Saloon have a sub in the boot as well? (if it has Premium Audio)
    If its relevant to this i'm looking at 2008 & 2009 8th Generation cars.

Cheers, Mark.

- - - Updated - - -

QUESTION:
    Also, what is the difference between the ES GT (+ Nav pack) and the EX GT spec, ie what do you gain?

Cheers, Mark.

Last edited: Friday 29th Mar, 2013
  14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

EX GT is no longer available on facelift Accords.

On pre-facelift, EX GT had heated half leathers, parking sensors all round, HID headlights and parking camera.

I believe if you have the Adv Nav Pack added to the ES GT, then it does include the reverse camera. Otherwise, reverse camera is ONLY available on EX and Type-S models. Yes, the saloon has a sub woofer mounted on the rear parcel shelf in the centre, not in the boot.

15. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you very much for the info Mr Knight.

16. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No problem :Thumbup:

17. jwramsay Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have the ES GT with SatNav, premium audi system, 10 speakers inc subwoofer and rear camera.

VERY impressed with the sounds and that subwoofer kicks butt!

18. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just a shame that the other speakers are prone to rupture and don't last long.