Off-Topic Android Tablet which one ? Price not an issue.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ichiban, Monday 23rd Jan, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Guys,

I now have the requirement for an android tablet, It needs to be on the same level as a iPad in performance any suggestions and independent user reviews?

I have got the bug to make android apps and I have a few ideas which are brewing in my head but need hardware to test it. Simulators arent the real thing for me thou.

2. I-S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    I have the Asus Transformer, which I like. Not without its flaws, of course, but it is generally good.

Definitely get something that will have ICE Cream Sandwich - this is key to performance and for future app development. My suggestions:

Asus Transformer TF101
    Might be some to be picked up for not too much money now that the Prime is out. I paid £280 for mine new before christmas. ICS update is on the way, and in terms of software support Asus have been FAR better than any other android manufacturer. Good IPS screen also.

Motorola Xoom
    I hate motorola's behaviour over software updates on my phone (and so have Cyanogen running on that now), but they seem to have been better with the Xoom (probably because it was the lead honeycomb device and the tablet equivalent to a Nexus). ICS is already hitting in the USA, and there are some stonking deals on Xooms at the moment - £250 for a 32GB model. Downsides are iffy mSD slot, motorola's crappy software updates and bugs, mediocre screen and it is very heavy.

Asus Transformer Prime
    Amazing screen, stupidly powerful (1.3GHz quad-core), slim, light, etc. ICS already available. Downsides are a few bugs still being worked out on the software side, and the aluminium back causes poor GPS and Wifi performance. Expensive too (£499 for 32GB with keyboard dock).

Others
    Galaxy Tab - nice screen, thin and light. No mSD slot and expensive.
    Acer A500 (aka Packard Bell Liberty Tab) - Full USB port, mSD, etc. Solid hardware although not great battery life, so-so screen.
    Advent Vega - The budget queen. No Market, unlikely to get ICS, poor screen. Don't bother.

Lots of things coming soon that could cause some price wars - Toshiba X10 looks superb but already slightly outdated. Xoom 2 and 2 Media Edition limited storage and no mSD but nice hardware and screens. Acer A200, A510, A700 - full scale blitz on the way, could do some good things to prices. Samsung are shotgunning the market with 7.0, 7.7, 8.9 and 10.1 models.

Ichiban likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks for the comprehensive review of the tablets.:cool: I am going to hold out just after the launch of the iPad 3 to see if the arrival brings the prices down for the Asus Transformer Prime.

4. I-S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Re: Andriod Tablet which one ? Price not an issue.

I think that other things will push the transformer price down - Asus have already announced an upgraded transformer prime called TF700T, which is similar but with a higher res screen (1920x1200) and a redesigned back to solve the GPS/wifi/bluetooth issues from the Prime (TF201). There's plenty of other forthcoming high-res android tablets (EG Acer A700, Lenovo Ideapad K2 and there are rumours of a Samsung with a 2560x1600 screen).

I'd suggest a dual-core tablet might be a better bet for development as it would highlight performance issues with apps more than the quad-core models which may mask them somewhat.

In terms of raw performance, there's plenty out there far more powerful than the ipad2 in CPU terms, but ipad is very strong on the GPU and memory bandwidth side (although rather restricted in terms of amount of RAM).

Interface responsiveness and user experience are far more down the optimisation of apps and UI software than hardware. My single-core phone is rather snappier than most dual-core phones on sale merely because I am running a far more optimised software setup (Cyanogenmod 7) than normal android with manufacturer overlays weighing them down (motoblur, HTC Sense, Touchwiz, etc - they're all crap).

Android 4.0 is making some serious fundamental changes to how android works which will massively boost performance on existing hardware. Cyanogenmod 9 (the android 4 based cyanogen) has a very good chance of being phenominal.

Ichiban likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have finally taken the plunge and bought the Toshiba Thrive AT105 (Black) WiFi 8GB 10.1-inch Android 3.1 Tablet

It should be here in 2-3 days time. it mid range and just perfect to test apps.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It still hasn't been delivered got fed up of waiting and cancelled the order..this online firm had this tablet in stock and still cold not deliver it in 7 working days....Was not meant to be a toshiba I suppose..

7. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I hate it when you orde something expecting it quickly and it never turns up! I waited 2 weeks for some earth sleeving the other day. Ended up buying it for 65p in the shops and gave up waiting. Really gets my goat.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The worst is these companies don't even apologies nor do they tell you why he can deliver on thier promises...just issue standard automated responses. Not happy

9. I-S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
  10. I-S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Ichiban likes this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    ICS update make the Acer the one to go for but the Toshiba does have the more storage, I am going to flip a coin to decide.

12. I-S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    You can get A200s with more storage for more money - or you could just stick a microSD card in - 32GB mSD is cheap.

ICS rolls out for my tablet tomorrow morning...

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    let me know how the ICS update alters your tablet.with iPad3 out anytime soon let see what it brings before I decide which platform to target.

I have to say I am more tempted towards apple app