Suspension, Steering and Brakes Another annoying clunk / noise thread :)

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Andrew, Friday 5th Jul, 2013.

1. Andrew Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys,

New member here :Smile: - I signed up last week when i saw the new AOC forums was up and running, I used to a be a member on thaoc a few years back before it closed so great to see a uk forum back up and running

I Wondered if anyone else has had this issue as its beginning to nag the hell outta me and my local garage can't put a finger on it....

When driving along I'm feeling a clunk (knock) through the steering wheel its not felt anywhere else as far as i can gather, this is more noticeable when i come on and off the power in a lower gear, it almost feels like the engine is rocking on a loose mount but i was told these were checked and there was no play found.

All obvious suspension parts / bushes etc have been checked for play, I do have a small steering rack leak so it could be movement in the rack but this clunk will happen at all times even in a straight line or cornering and moving along at speed but as i say a lot more noticeable when moving off / stopping

2. mikesaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Andrew,

I had a similar problem, I could feel a clunk on/off power in lower gears driving in a straight line and also pulling out from junctions/stand still etc. I had a bad steering rack leak from both sides, I've just this weekend had a second hand rack put in and that appears to of cured the issue. No more knock or clunk.

Does the steering itself feel ok? Before the rack change my steering felt vague and pretty dead. The replacement rack has made a huge difference, the steering now feels tight, and I can feel whats going on under the front wheels more.
  3. Andrew Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply, that sounds exactly the same as mine and i do indeed have a leak at both ends of the rack!!
    the offside has now stopped after i put in some stop leak, its never bothered me enough to replace as i rarely have to top up the reservoir but yes the steering does feel a bit vague at times

i will keep a lookout for a 2nd hand rack... Actually i did win what i was told was a 2004 rack on ebay a few months back but it appears to be for a 8th Generation!!

4. mikesaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No problem

I tried stop leak, it slowed the leak but made the steering heavy from cold start. Ended up sucking it back out the reservoir and replacing it with fresh genuine Honda fluid.

It's definitely worth replacing the rack as the leak won't get any better and its a potential MOT failure.

Hopefully if you replace yours it will cure the clunking.
  5. Andrew Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes i noticed its a bit heavy on a cold start, Genuine Honda fluid is highly recommended but i thought id gamble on some stop leak for a few quid
    luckily for me the MOT tester has marked it as an advisory but the clunking is now more of an issue than the leak ever was so i need to get it sorted :Smile:
    i wonder if the issue is with the rack or one of the bushes / bearings when the rack is replaced.