General Another car...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FirstHonda, Thursday 3rd Jul, 2014.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Going to look at another car this weekend. Not a replacement for my Accord BTW, another car as there has been a gap since I sold my 1974 Mini three years ago.

Not going to say too much just in case it isn't what I'm looking for, or in case it sells before I get there. All I will say at this stage is that it is "Hondamatic" :Smile:

Wish me luck!

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  2. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Ooh intriguing, good luck.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    OOh its got to be a Civic or a Accord! :Happy:

4. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Good luck :Niceone:

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Fingers crossed for you :Smile:

6. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Anything Hondamatic is cool in my book. I used to live my "star drive" lol

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Ok, so went to have a look at this yesterday. A 1980 Civic, very original - one owner, full history, less than 30k miles.

Interior perfect, bodywork very straight but for me would need some cosmetic work to get up to standard. Probably bottoms of front doors (not because of rust, because of previous touch up work to minor damage), all four wheel arches (which again had been repaired, so rust not an issue, but not very tidy). Couple of scratches on front wing would need attention too. TBF the seller had noted that it needed some minor bodywork.

At the right price I would have taken their hand off (it is for sale at a local Honda dealer, where it was originally bought from!) but unfortunately IMHO they just want a bit too much for it given the work that needs to be done, despite the history and originality. A local bodyshop gave me an estimate of £800-£1200 to sort it properly - which would be four door bottoms, four wheelarches, front wing, both valances and sills - and that just makes it financially too much vs the ultimate value.

Shame - anyway, I have made what I consider to be a fair bid and left my contact details, so I guess it could still happen but I somehow doubt it. Really nice car though perhaps for someone who can do the bodywork themselves, and a nice dealer.

Anyway, what this has done has convinced me that I am now going to buy another classic of some sort over the next few months. My criteria are simple - small, automatic, good/excellent condition or needing minor work either mechanically or body. Got my eye on a nice Renault 5 at the moment, but also love 1980s Civics and Toyota Starlets, 1st Generation Fiat Uno Selecta, Fiat Panda Selecta too. No BL stuff this time, although was tempted by a nice looking Metro Van Den Plas...

In an ideal world I'd find an original UK registered Subaru Vivio auto or a Daihatsu Mira auto. I know, I know...but beauty is in the eye of the beholder :Ermm:

Watch this space...but it could be a long hunt for the right thing. Which is all part of the fun...:Smile:

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Good luck with the hunt.
    I for one, am keen to follow this as it unfolds. :Drinks:

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

From memory it took me well over a year to find the right Mini, as I specifically wanted a Clubman automatic, And when I finally found it, she was worth the wait...but times change, and she moved on to a new home after about 7 years...:Sobbing:

Mini_Clubman_April20098.JPG

Thing is, she was so impractical for any type of long (ish) journey. That's why this time I'm favouring a slightly bigger (but not much, I love small cars!) 1980s classic. Actually an early Ford Fiesta auto (which I think was the 2nd Generation) could be interesting. CVT gearboxes of that era fascinate me for some reason...:Whistle:

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

So, have seen this on eBay - same as the one I went to see a couple of weeks ago, but a bit newer and the body looks in better condition.

What do you guys think about the price? Looks a bit optimistic to me...I would have thought about £2k max?

Advice please!

1982 HONDA Civic 5D AT AUTO SILVER 1 LADY OWNER 30 YEAR 55K MILES RETRO RIDE | eBay

There is another one at £1500 too, see below.

1983 HONDA 3A Civic AUTO SILVER | eBay

Should add, the one I went to see originally is this last one below - still for sale by the looks of it. Body looks better in the 'photos than in real life (don't they always?!). They want £2500 for this, I offered £1500, but would go to £1800 - but they haven't called back so I guess not interested. They might be if they've still got it in a few weeks!!

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C514565

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    FirstHonda likes this.
  12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

The original one I went to see at the Honda dealer is still for sale - given the price they wanted, I'm not that surprised.

If still for sale in a couple of weeks I'll go back with my original offer to see if I can tempt them...:Smile:

^^This looks like it needs a bit too much work for me, nice and original though.

Worryingly I've been starting to look at old Metros & Renaults again, so I need to sort out a Honda PDQ :help:

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Metros and Renaults !! :Aghast::Baseballbat:

You'll be like :-

:BavarianTractor:

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @FirstHonda still catching up on threads when I was away on hols,as for the 1980 Civic, it was not meant to be. What else do you fancy have seen anything else in the meantime?

15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I've looked at a couple of things, but found them (as always) not quite as good as described!

Really interested in a Subaru Vivio I saw online but it was gone in a flash...

My requirements of small and automatic mean it is quite a limited market, but when I see something I'll just know! No rush...

Currently I'm thinking (if not a Honda) that I'd rather like a Daf or an early Volvo 343. Weird I know :Grin:

16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

You've clearly got plenty of patience. :Tea:
    That in turn means that you will find the right car. Keep us posted.

17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ It's a starter of patience, followed by a main course of indecision, and finished with a dessert of emotion! Then coffee...

Buying cars for me has always been thus. My Daihatsu Charade was an accident - as I went to look at a Vauxhall and it was sitting in a corner waiting to be traded - I just knew I had to have it and it was the best car I've ever owned...

My VW Tiguan was the result of thorough research and analysis. I really wanted a Freelander, but reliability issues put me off...oh, the irony! Since then I've gone back to "gut feel" - which resulted in my Accord, which was another very happy accident.

When I see what I want, I'll just know. And it may well not be what I expected to end up with :Grin:

18. Dr Chaos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I just part exed my Accord Tourer ES GT. gunmetal grey perfect condition fantastic drive. You may have liked that. One owner full HSH. I don't know what the dealership have done with it.

19. Dr Chaos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Here's a picture image.

John Dickson and Ichiban like this.
  20. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Very nice, and with the best wheels...:Wink:

...but I'm looking for something in addition to my Accord. Something older and a bit odd to play with...!