another new honda banner to the collection

Discussion in 'Classics & Heritage' started by HondaHeritage, Saturday 21st May, 2016.

1. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    Honda memorabilia is now becoming quite collectable and hence more expensive to buy
    there is a growing market for for "copies " of original sign-age and new banners are becoming expensive
    running club stands and displays it is costly for banners representing you "mark" accurately and with no funds available it can be quite frustrating in presenting your display in the right manner
    anyway last week i was walking down my road when i came across a long zip up tube discarded by some bins and being an inquisitive sod that i am i just had to have a look :Grin:
    to my surprise within was a 7ft by 4ft advertising banner with fibre support frame but missing the base stand a definite keeper !!!
    on reversing the banner i had a clean large white blank canvass !!!!
    i have for a long time wanted to create a banner that no one has done in keeping with the period of Honda that im interested in that being Mr Honda
    (cj avatar )
    with no funds the only way to go was to revert back to my old school days of art work ,so blowing up cj,s avatar image to 15cm (as large as i could go without losing detail ) i set about enlarging the image using the old technique of grid enlarging

image on A4

IMG_7009.JPG

image gride scaled up onto brown masking paper all hand drawn with perment black marker
    this turned out to be very time consuming with a few mistakes but the idea of drawing onto the brown paper was if mistakes wher made it would save messing up the white canvas

IMG_7010.JPG

once the image details were finished i cut out the figure and placed it on the new canvas with masking tape behind to hold it in place

IMG_7011.JPG

image now copied onto the canvas with perment marker by drawing round the template

IMG_7012.JPG

the template i then cut up into inner detail pieces and then drew round each pies to complete the inner image details
    now it was time to fill in the inner detais fist bit of colour to the cap

IMG_7014.JPG

the next step and the hardest was to free hand the honda lettering

IMG_7021.JPG

the only soft sticker i used just to had the top of the banner

IMG_7017.JPG

with sticker applied and the final colour added to hands ears,face,neck and boots (done in humbrol enamel )

IMG_7022.JPG

banner finished with just the stand base to make
    hopefully mr honda will make his debut at the crystal palace event next weekend

Attached Files:

Last edited: Saturday 21st May, 2016
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:whathesaid:

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

:whathesaid:X2

:salute:

5. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Impessive work.:GoodJob:
    I might pinch it and take it home with me or make you an offfer you can't refuse:money:.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am sure like you I too want this for my garage..Slim will need to churn these bad boys out.

7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Group buy?:Happy:

8. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    thanks guys for your comments
    i quite enjoyed the exercise of doing this ,it took me back to my younger days when i used to do free hand sign writing
    unfortunately technology has taken away the hands on skills of making things
    apart from the free canvas the cost of material + the honda sticker was around £10 + an awful lot of man hours

Ichiban likes this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Slim man hours consider that as therapy mate

10. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Wow!!! That looks incredible.

11. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    the final challenge was to turn the poster into a free standing banner as the flexy carbon fibre rods were all present but no stand

IMG_7025.JPG

IMG_7028.JPG

the cental rod which has a rubber foot is way to flexible

IMG_7026.JPG

iferreted around my mates garden centre looking for an old base of some kind and turned up a heavy old rubber umbrella stand
    the base had a removable plug which i removed and slotted for the banners rod to push into
    i then found a heavy 1/4 inch pieace of plate i had kicking around cut a circle out of it drilled a central hole for the rod to pass through and then drilled four hole to bolt through the rubber plug
    then i welding a three foot piece of tube to the plate for the rod to go through and for the top of the tube i machined a split collar to hold and stiffen the rod to reduce the excess movement
    IMG_7029.JPG

IMG_7030.JPG

IMG_7032.JPG

IMG_7034.JPG

IMG_7035.JPG

IMG_7037.JPG

the end result has been most satisfying as it is incredible stable and should stand up to a fair breeze at events although i have drilled holes in the base to peg it down if necessary

wifey came round to visit mr honda :Grin:

IMG_7038.JPG

Attached Files:

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just an amazing stand and excellent concept. The lovely Kathy next to the giant Mr Honda.

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Wow that's fab job mate ! Love it.