Introductions Another new Honda owner :)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Keejteej, Sunday 26th Jun, 2016.

1. Keejteej Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Salv Sandown
    Hi all, Salv here! Just got a Civic 2003 1.6 Automatic. Alas, got a few teething troubles but sorta knew about them, silly things like pads, discs and filters. Other than that seems a nice little runner. Only big issue is the acceleration, a friend says it's not working right so need to change trans oil and filter, hopefully! Not sure if can be done but will find out lol

Anyway, hello all :Smile:

Salv

Zebster likes this.
  2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Hello @Keejteej and welcome to HK.
    Congratulations on your purchase. These Civics are known to last ages with a bit of TLC so good to hear that you are on it.

Can you explain a bit on why your friend says that it's not working right?

Oh and add your car to the club garage with a couple of photos. It will show up at the bottom of all your posts so we will know exactly what model we are talking about.

3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Welcome to HondaKarma @Keejteej :welcome:

There's plenty of people here who will be able to help with advice - just post a thread in the relevant section.

:goodluck:

4. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

5. Keejteej Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the warm welcome :0 Sorry took a bit to get Avatar up and a bit of profile, was in a rush yesterday to find some parts as need them ordered by weekend for my mechanic to fit lol
    - - - Updated - - -
    Well, basically when you put your foot down it does not pull away like it should, and also when stopped at lights say, the car will not try to roll forward on it's own as autos do. It does sometimes, but only barely then, so he believes it could be the transmission fluid and filter that have not been touched since the last owner bought it. I tend to believe him about this aspect, as the air and oil filters were disgusting he said lol (Wish I knew a bit more about engines, but hey ho)

I have ordered new Pagid discs and pads, a Mahle air filter, a Mann oil filter, 4 litres of Castrol edge 0w-30 engine oil. Also, a set of lower wishbone arms, ball joints and track end rods. Not a bad start lol Though did budget these things and only paid just over 1k for the car. Only thing I am now finding a problem with is a transmission filter! can't; seem to find it anywhere in UK via ebay. The genuine ATF I can get, just not sure if 3 or 4 quarts needed to do full flush and change.

Anyway, thanks again for welcome and help :Smile:

Salv

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK @Keejteej :Hey:

It really does help if you add your Civic to the Club Garage. She will then appear at the bottom of your posts. (See #4 above from @MickyB )
    Members will then see exactly what vehicle you are for help about.

7. Keejteej Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I will do mate, just been tipping it down most of the day here so not best photo weather lol But I promise very soon :Wink:

Nels likes this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome to Honda Karma Salv :Hey:

When I sold the wifes 2004 Civic 1.6 Auto last year, the chap that came to buy it made the comment that "the car is very lathergic and doesn'y move quickly". To which I replied "No it's plenty quick enough, you're just not driving it right!"
    So at the end of his test drive, I jumped in and actually showed him how to make the car move quick. Essentially you have to push the pedal down quite far and hold it for the auto to respond (not enough for it to kick down).

The first like 2/3 of the pedal make the car just tootal along, the last 2/3 without putting the pedalfully to the floor is what makes the car move quick.

Once I showed him this he changed his mind and agreed that there is nothing wrong with the car.
    So perhaps you also are doing what he was doing ?? Try using more accelerator pedal.

9. Keejteej Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, but would that explain why the car does not want to move when it is just idling, my old auto (Rover 45 CVT trans) was always rolling forward without the brake on.. This car does sometimes roll, and at other times not. thx bud
    - - - Updated - - -
    PS - The ATF-DW1 is turning up today from Holdcroft so , might as well do the full flush anyway :Wink: lol Will drain and fill, drive, drain and fill, drive then drain anf fill as told on previous post. So hopefully after that all the old ATF will be gone.

10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Have you checked for seized brake calipers @Keejteej ?

12. Keejteej Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yep! The front left wheel is over heating like crazy, my mate freed the caliper there, check the rest, but during this service is when he said it needs new pads/discs, cos they do look very worn down! (FYI - the car is my ex-girlfriend's, alas I never had time to go with her to look it over, she took a workmate who knew a bit about cars!) So, I have new Pagid discs and pads arriving later today, ready to fit at weekend. Hoping then that the overheating will go (like it did on old Rover, yes...we hate brakes!!)! If not got no idea what could be causing it.

thanks again
    - - - Updated - - -
    thanks, only just joined and full of questions already lol :Wink:

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You need to check the caliper pistons move freely as well as the slider pins.

14. Keejteej Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm guessing he did that, will check thanks!