General Another Year Another MOT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MickyB, Thursday 13th Jun, 2013.

1. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well that time has come round again. My wife's beloved HR-V is due its MOT so at 1100hrs tomorrow I'll be presenting it to the garage for its check out!!!!
    I'll let you all know how it goes.
    Fingers crossed:Tongue:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Check the washer Bootle for fluid :Wink:

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I did that once CJ, and it was 2 years ago!! You won't let it drop will you?! :Sobbing:

Don't forget to check your headlight bulbs as well. :Whistle:

4. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I did and the bulbs:Wink:
    The first thing he checked were the washers and guess what the passenger side wouldn't spray (strange as it did on the way there) so a hasty washer nozzle removal pin in the holes and a blow and there you go it's working.
    Then the big problem CO reading to high so had to do a manual setting and while he was revving at max revs he said you are burning oil??? Does it take a lot of oil!!!!! Ee no it never drops.
    Oh well I think it's burning oil and its knackered the Cat converter (which was only fitted less than 12 months ago)... So I ask what's the resolution to this then?
    Oh you'll probably need another engine?????? It's just when they get to this age and have high mileage there's not much you can do???
    Hang on I say it's only just done 75k are you telling me that a superb piece on technology like a Honda engine is not going to last over that mileage???
    Looks that way!!!!
    Or you could strip it down and check the bores to see if they are oval if not you could have the rings replaced!!!
    As you could well imagine at this time my pure old heart was just about giving up. When is this going to end and more importantly How much is it going to cost me????
    I've spoken to my daughters B/f who is a whizz with these things and the first thing is a good service(its about due) so parts being ordered and tomorrow my only day off this week will be spent changing oils plugs etc.
    One question CJ at what interval should the cam belt be changed or is it a chain ?? Something I can't find.
    Oh and by the way he did a manual Emissions test and it just passed by .02%
    Which meant it passed.
    Just need to sort this engine problem.
    Any advice(no not sell it to me CJ):Smile: would be gratefully accepted .

5. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sounds like he was wanting to fleece you for some more work! Did you give her a nice blow out (thrash) before taking her for test? Can't see a 12month old cat being knackered and as for burning oil if you never have to top it up then its not burning it! That engine will be good for over 200k miles easy. How high did he rev the engine y ou say max revs that to me means he ran it on the limiter isn't fast idle test around 3k RPM?

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am surprised your car has lasted this long mate at the Wakefield meet I looked at the dipstick and what did I tell you then.

Good the car has passed but need to figure out why it smoking ,lead down and compression test.

7. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Curiosity; what did you see on the dipstick and what did it mean?

8. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well gave it a good service this week and to be honest the plugs seem ok to me there's no oily deposits on them as you would expect to see on an oil burner(as stated by the guy at the garage) . Ok CJ I hold my hands up the oil was a tiny bit dirty not your regular virgin olive oil colour (like your dipstick) but I can't see what else could cause the CO level to be high there's certainly no lack of power and no miss firing so ?

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There was hardly any oil in the engine it was below the lower DOT...

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Then it needs a prolonged drive up the motorway to blow out the cobwebs an Italian tune then take cylinder compression readings.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mick get some tunap petrol treatment from HH. Use two bottles of it in a full tank , I might be tempted to do a engine flush and change the oil again.That should clean out the curd and carbon out. Additionally if the MOT station did not get your car up to temperature then your cat will not effectively work additionally your cat is not genuine one ...it could be that is not as efficient as the genuine one.

12. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What does tunap do? is it similar to injector cleaner cause I've been using Redex injector cleaner for the last week.
    I used an engine flush before changing the oil.
    I only did a short journey about 10 minutes before the test so don't know if the cat was up to working temp. It gets a motorway blast every day as I'm using it for work etc. Accord is having a sleep till summer comes.:cool:

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Tunap is nothing but a petrol additive which is paraffin\kerosene free I would have said use BG44K in the past but their formula has gone paraffin based and that no good.

That should clean out little of the carbon curd on the head and fuel injectors.
    In-Depth - Tunap 973 Micro Flex TÜV Approved Petrol Fuel Cleaner • Honda Karma

Next time get the car so red hot before an MOT the engine will be so efficient that the emission will drop. How do you reckon these cars without any cats are getting through their mots?