General Anti sieze on spark plugs, yes or no?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SayamaAccord, Monday 28th Nov, 2011.

1. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

According to NGK you don't need it with their plugs because they have an anti-sieze coating.

However if you do use anti-sieze, judge the tightness by how far the plug turns as specified in the Accord owner's handbook, not by using a torque wrench, otherwise the extra lubrication will cause you to overtighten which isn't good news in an aluminium cylinder head.

Attached Files:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Spot on advice Cliff, this is so true I use to use copper slip I did stop a few year ago.

This article is a life saver for cylinder heads.

3. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Can't say I've ever used any form of lube when changing spark plugs. I've never heard of them seizing in.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Serviced the Jazz GD1 all the plugs were squeaky and tight so as per the workshop manual I had to use a very very tiny about of cooper slip. I have to emphasis's it was neither here or there just to get the plugs in easily without the squeaking.

If the plugs were changed on the Jazz at the recommended service schedule it would have been far easier.

5. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What is recommended mileage to change spark plugs?on my car for example.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They are iridium based plugs bud. without the SvRS recommendations it will be 75000 miles or earlier according to SvRS.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bumping this thread for all petrol owners planning to change their spark plugs in the coming months , should read this before they grab the copper slip.

8. Eck Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Use of coper slip or any such very low friction coatings should always be treated with caution, apart from very easy overtorquing the type and quality especially in high temperature locations can have possible severe corrosion and other chemical reactions.
    If in doubt why not just use a little engine oil (apart from brake locations).

9. Jon_G Guest

I've never used anything to lubricate spark plug threads, nor felt the need... and I would worry about what torque setting to use if I did.

10. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I've read horror stories of plugs seizing in the cylinder head of some cars such as Mercs...but not heard of it with Hondas and NGK plugs though

11. Jon_G Guest

But did they stick because they had been lubricated, or because they hadn't?
    I would agree with Eck's earlier warning regarding use of lubricants in such a high temperature location.

12. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Dunno, but I've never heard of copper slip causing a seizure to be honest, have you?

13. Jon_G Guest

No, I haven't. But while the specs for Copaslip do suggest it's OK for up to 1100C... Anti-seize Compounds - Molyslip Atlantic Limited , I am concerned about reactions with iron or aluminium alloy at those temps though. Might be OK, but I would need to see some evidence that the manufacturers recommend it for this application before I used it on an engine that I cared about.

EDIT - do you think it might be good for a noisy timing chain?

14. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Possibly...

...or does anyone do a re-map with valves off?

15. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    If you maintain your car regularly surely it shouldn't have the opportunity to seize!? I've never heard of spark plugs seizing from normal use and regular maintenance. Snapped spark plugs or seizing due to extremely poor maintenance schedules however are another story. But then if you don't change your plugs for that length of time I'm sure you'd have other associated issues.