Pre-Purchase Any advice/comments welcome.

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by maelstrom, Sunday 15th Feb, 2015.

1. maelstrom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dave Stirling
    Hi, I was ready to order a Skoda Octavia estate 2.0 Tdi, when I came across an advert for a 2014, 1.6 diesel, 2WD Honda CR-V with 7000 miles for £20, 500. It is An ex demonstrator.
    this make is slightly more expensive than a brand new Octavia, but within my budget. I always liked the CR-V but out of my budget.
    Any comments about the fact that it is a demo car, 2WD and with a 1.6 diesel?

Thanks lot

Dave

2. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The CR-V will be a better buy than skoda and also will give you less trouble. Do you need a 4x4? With 2 days of snow a year, I can't see the real need for it. Or maybe you like car booting? It would then be useful in a wet field. I know I've needed it then.:Grin:

I wouldn't let the demo car thing put you off. It's an suv not a hot hatch so should of been treated like one.

I think once you've driven both and checked the interiors out you'll find honda better. The skoda will have better handling I would of thought. So if your a spirited driver that may come into play.

FirstHonda likes this.
  3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    They're pretty capable with the N16 and 2WD, certainly miles better build quality than the Skoda too. Ex-demonstrators aren't really a bad buy at all, while the odd person will have thrown the clutch out once or drive getting used to it on a test drive, they're rarely ever pushed hard. I'd say it's a safe investment.

4. maelstrom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks.
    Any experience, positive or negative with this newish 1.6 engine?

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

There's been nothing but good press in general sounding the new 1.6 engine, I haven't driven one to date, but it's way too early in its life to state whether there's any underlying issues as of yet - the reassuring thing is that all Honda's later diesel engines have all been extremely dependable.

FirstHonda likes this.
  6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The CR-V is also known for being one of the few suvs that drive like a car when it comes to handling. Mine certainly does so I'd imagine the 4th Generation is even better.

7. maelstrom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys, I'm pretty sue I would like the CR-V.
    I still have to make up my mind about this ex-demo thing. The dealer said that this car, with 7k miles, was actually used by their finance person to go around showrooms. It is about £3k cheaper than a new one.

8. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

ex mgmt car is nothing to be wary off, car will be serviced and have the warranty intact.
    im sure the 4th Generation is very capable yet to drive one though and compare to 3rd Generation
    my only concern is the 1.6 unit being a bit small for the weight of the CR-V.
    good luck, but u can't compare a skoda to a honda ... rebadged vag or not

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think the power and torque outputs from memory are pretty similar with the 1.6 dtec to the 2.2 cdti so I reckon performance will be fine especially as it will have new design in it etc. The only thing that comes to mind is potential extra strain on it but then the internals may be beefed up plus I'm sure Honda will have that covered.

10. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    The 1.6 is quite nippy in the CR-V really. It's a little down on power, certainly the new CR-V 1.6 is a lot quicker.

11. Gary_P Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Whitstable
    Why not see if they will throw a 5 year service contract and 5 year warranty in? £850 on new vehicles. Or you may want to take these out anyway. You get free roadside with them.
    Cheers

12. maelstrom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks. There is also another vehicle, 54 reg with only 10 miles with the 2.2 Diesel engine and 4WD. Is this a "better" engine and is the 4WD system reliable?

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That's the N22B I-DTEC, well proven as a robust and reliable engine by this point. A bit up on power figures from the 1.6 I-DTEC, but less economical, naturally.

Yes and no on this one, there have been some technical issues with the 4WD system (believe limited to the 2013 models) which led to firstly an ECU update, and secondly a rear diff electric motor replacement if the customer reported an issue, the work is carried out for free. I believe the issue is not present on the 2014 models, @Ichiban can confirm.

14. maelstrom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks again. What is the consensus here, which is the one to go for: 1.6 2WD or 2.2 4WD?
    I do not really need 4WD, but I suppose it won't hurt in winter...
    What's the economy like for the 2.2. Apparently the 1.6 is really good.

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I suppose you could try and work out the economy savings of the 1.6 over the 2.2 and then see how much it would cost to get a set of cheap wheels and winter tyres which would be pretty adequate for our winters and last a long time if only going on a few weeks a year. Even with AWD you still need decent tyres.

16. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
    Ex-demos are good value, and I've bought a couple in the past myself. When you say it's £3k cheaper than a new one, bear in mind you can negotiate some pretty chunky discounts off a brand new CR-V at the moment. There's a new facelifted CR-V hitting the showrooms soon, and 15-reg cars will be on the streets nine days from now, so dealers should be offering very good deals on pre-facelift cars and ex demos. Have a look at other dealers in your area and see what ex demos they've got.

17. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Definitely negotiate, but check out the new ones too. You may be pleasantly surprised!