General Any DIY's or Guides that anyone wants???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul, Tuesday 24th Jan, 2012.

1. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As the title suggests. Once the warmer weather and longer days starts to arrive I'll be doing a few bits on my car (more preventative maintenance). If there are any specific guides or how to's that anybody wants (and I can do them on my drive) please post in this thread. I will try to them do a guide for them in the future. To start it off I have added the first item:

• Rear brakes - pad and disc change - Accord Saloon
    • Front brakes - strip and clean - but will do a guide for changing pad and discs - Accord Saloon

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Likewise any jobs on the petrol?

Just put 'em on the list.

I'll be doing oil, air, pollen, plus front and back brakes over the next few months. Plus front lower arm removal if I can manage it.

3. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    I've got plenty of pictures for a new engine block being fitted?. some good clear pictures of how everything fits together on a 2.2 ICTDI. may interest a few?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Absolutely Beefy go for it but please upload them to the forum. Thanks beefy

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    ile get round to it one night this week.

6. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's sounds interesting. Is that doable on the drive :Smile:

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    errrrrrrrrr....you won't get me doing that on a drive!

8. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

How often do you take them out? Would love to see one out if ever you're doing another that you know of.

9. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    its not very often we take an engine out.....it is honda were talking about here!!!!! as far as jobs go though, its a propper mechanics job. hands dirty, all sorts of chaos going on and somthing to get your teeth into. been a long while due to engine failure but its quicker to take the engine out on Accords if replacing the exhaust manifold and timing chain at the same time.

10. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think I can remember you saying you did a clutch once with the engine out and that it was easier out. Bit different to a Peugeot 205 diesel engine that I helped change once I imagine.

11. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    it started as a timing chain and exhaust manifold but while the engine was out we suggested replacing the clutch with no extra labour. it was a costly job over all but that car will outlast all of us! just made sense to replace it.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I recall this car very well bud. It will be a good refresher.

13. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I did NVQ 1 Car Maintenance evening classes a few years back, and one of the teachers said he always took the engine out to replace the clutch because he thought it was the "purists" way of doing the job properly...and he also said it meant you could change some of the seals that you couldn't get to otherwise.

14. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    ime sure my pictures though were for a ICTDI engine out of a CR-V. he had an oil leak which was very difficult to locate, eventualy it transpired the engine block was pourous!!! honda authorised and payed for a short motor (new lower block complete inc pistons,crank,oil pump etc) ile have to visit photobucket and see what I've got on there. always interesting to see an engine in bits. I've got some pics of the insides of a gearbox that was run without oil! carnage is the result lol

15. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd love to do a course like that. I'm reasonably handy but would be nice to expand my knowledge. The only problem is i'm due promotion at work shortly and will be working shifts. Would hate to sign up and then not be able to attend. Did you find the course had loads of young kids on it or was it a good mix?

16. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    good job that teacher didnt run his own business!!!! some engines you have to remove engine to remove the gear box, generaly jue to poor desighn or the fact it is a large unit. regards extra seals he was talking bull there lol talking out of his backside!

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Cliff dig up that course details mate no doubt that will help a lot of owners to get the DIY bug.

18. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Haha...always good to get the other perspective lol. Just check out the websites of your local colleges around August/September time. It's a good mix of people but it is quite basic...the one I did they taught a bit more than the syllabus...stripped an engine block down one week which was good. The one really worth doing is NVQ 2 but that involves one whole weekday per week so it's no-go if you work full time :Frown:

19. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yup I'll see if I can find a list of topics and post it.

20. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    NVQL3 :Tongue: shamone!!