Off-Topic Any fight fans?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Phil1978, Saturday 8th Mar, 2014.

1. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    UFC London is live on channel 5 from 9 tonight, if you've never watched mixed martial arts give it a try, not sure if channel 5 have any future rights or if it's a one off.

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I started watching from the first UFC through a couple of years ago, think I got to the early 40s, caught some between 120-140 too then just a few odd events since. Really out of touch with the scene at the moment.

I might give it a download after it airs.

3. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Similar to myself, been watching it on and off for years, luckily we have BT sports now so I can watch them all :OTT:

Rhys likes this.
  4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Would actually like to get back into it, I was downloading them all before.

We have Virgin but I've never watched it in the 2 and a half years I've been here. It's just there to bring our internet/phone package price down :Whistle:

5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Haven't watched it in years, since the days of the great Fedor. Used to love K1 and watching Bob Sapp get battered.

6. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Yeah, Sapp was quite funny to watch, gassed out after throwing a few punches then just took a beating, the cro Cop fight is probably my personal favourite of his :Grin:

7. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Great finish from Gustafsson showing why he is number one contender. He is the only one who has given John Jones a run for his money and I hope Gustafsson get another shot at Jones and this time finishes the job rather than leave it in the hands of the judges

8. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    It was a clinical finish, felt a bit sorry for Jimi, it was a mismatch, hopefully he'll come back stronger.

I'm really not sure what has happened to Jones, it seems that since he won the title he is a different fighter, he was a phenomenon on his way up but his last couple of fights have been average at most.

9. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I think his time at the top is starting to take its toll on him, apart from his last fight with Gustafsson all his previous fights have been against former champions and he has demolished nearly all of them and none of them wanted a rematch. I still want to see Jones against Dan Henderson also

10. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    I'd like to see that although I don't think I've seen a Hendo fight since he k.O'd Bisping.

11. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

He lost his last 3 fights and had never been ko'd until his last fight against Vitor Belfort with a cracking head kick !! He had a great 5 rounder with Shogun also which he won that is one fight you need to see !! Can't believe he is pushing on 50 and still fighting.

12. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Blimey, he's that old! I really should look on YouTube and catch up on the year and a bit that I missed.

13. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

He is one of the only few left around from the days of Pride. You won't find much on youtube these days as it's all copyrighted.

14. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I started watching the ufc back in the early ufc 40 ' s too on Bravo and watched everyone ever since. I had to take out Setanta, ESPN and now bt sports just to watch it.

Rhys likes this.
  15. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Do they still show the ultimate fighter over here?

Also did anyone watch the Channel 5 coverage? It turned out they were actually 10-15 minutes behind the live event so I watched it on bt sports, wondered if it was any good.

16. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

All ufc in the Uk is on BT sports now. The Ultimate Fighter tv series are still going too but they don't show all the ones from other countrys like the current Austrailia vs canada.

17. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I watched it on ch5 and there was only 4 fights shown ! It started with the co-main fight and then the main fight, endded with 2 earlier fights. Unfortunately I don't have bt sports so I've been a bit out of touch with the UFC the last few months :Frown: I used to go down my mates house regularly to watch the events but my car has been off the road since the end of January so I have been unable to watch them.

18. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Also the presenter of the program was the one who usually does the boxing so he didn't have a clue what was going on ha ha and had to rely on forest griffin to tell him ! Was a bit embarrassing really.

19. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The chanel 5 format was embarrassing. I had to turn it off as it made me cringe watching a fighter having to educate the host of the show. You can't but beat the proper offical format with joe rogan.

Rhys likes this.
  20. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I respect Joe Rogan for his vast knowledge of the sport especially the ground game aspect of it and I've picked up so much from his detailed commentary but I do find that he can be bias towards fighters of that nature. I love to watch a great ju-jitsu battle on the ground and it's just as exciting as watching a stand up war but everyone loves to see 2 fighters going at it swinging for the fences ha ha best example would be Forest Griffin v Stefan Bonner in the final of TUF season 1.