Engine & Gearbox Any Reason why new 9 gear auto box not used with Petrol Engine

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by tomwillie, Friday 20th Nov, 2015.

1. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Does anyone know why the petrol CR-V has to make do with old 5 gear auto box & not the new 9 gear auto box available with diesel engine?

2. Cobh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Maybe it is sufficient. Is there anything wrong with it?

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Could be due to the nature of the power and torque bands of diesels, 9 gears should be able to keep you in the max torque range without having to have long legged gears when you need to give the car the message.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  4. Cobh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's what I thought. Neighbour has just acquired a 2012 CR-V auto petrol (to replace a previous CR-V with over 100,000 on the clock) so I might try it out as they have offered. If it's smooth around town and on runs to Manchester over the tops, it might be a good idea to get one (couple of years old max) to replace the Yeti. Bags of space for the grandson, his entourage, and our boxer!

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think I remember cj saying the 9 speed is a ZF? I think that's the same make as the 8 speed in mine. It's very good, fast and smooth but not sure about reliability.

7. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    The old 5 speed auto is a torque converter box whereas I believe the new 9 speed ZF auto is a dual clutch so will be more efficient but old box of is of proven reliability. My wife would like a petrol auto but no need to change at moment so will see how the situation develops. I think in USA they use CVT in petrol CR-V & Accord. When we drove from San Francisco to San Diego in March 2014 the hire car was a Nissan Altimar that had a 2.5 litre petrol engine with CVT auto box with defined ratios, I was most impressed how smoothly that car drove. Hopefully when the CR-V is updated again & made in Canada an efficient & proven CVT auto box will be fitted together with a more powerful & efficient direct injection petrol engine.
    Direct injection petrol engines are used in new Jazz & new HR-V.

8. Cobh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

See link: ZF 9HP transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Seems to be a TC, but it's complicated!

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I really like the current box as it suits the car perfectly.

I haven't previously been a fan of the dual clutch gearboxes (although I've only used the VAG ones) as they are unreliable and constantly hunt around for the right gear. Hopeless unless you are on a motorway IMHO.

I'm a big fan of CVT as - when driven properly - it is both smooth and efficient. I get irritated by magazine road testers that always seem to speak about 'soaring revs' and noise on a CVT when they clearly don't have the capability or inclination to invest time in driving them properly.

10. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom BEA London
    Having just got the 9 speed + diesel I can report that it like to keep the RPM around 1500 to 2000 and use the gears to map that sweetspot into 5, 15 30 . . 90 MPH.

I would guess that:
    • The Diesel is happy and economical at low rpm
    • while the petrol is at its best only at 3000rpm +
    • So Diesel = 9 nice quiet speed ranges but petrol would have to choose 9 inefficient ranges for a quiet ride or 9 registers of screaming engine for power/efficiency

11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

What sort of economy are you getting @BEA ?

12. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Very hard to say with 120 miles on the clock :Smile: . . says 29mpg but a lot of that is 2 mile trips and sitting with the Engine idling while I try to work out the Navigation/System settings. I plan a longer run next week and will be watching the result with interest
    - - - Updated - - -
    How are you finding it?

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

14. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I will see how I go and post after a tank or two.

FirstHonda likes this.
  15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Further to my comments about unreliable VAG DSG gearboxes, based on bitter personal experience...by coincidence I saw a funny thing (not funny for the owner though) today.

I was the third car waiting at a single lane roundabout. The first car was a 65 plate Audi Q3.

As it tried to pull away, it seemed to lose power and stopped in the middle of the roundabout, blocking everybody from two directions. The lady driving the car couldn't move it, so a couple of us went to see what the problem was.

It was an auto - I assume a DSG - and even though 'D' was selected, the car just wouldn't select a forward gear, instead just revving. It would select reverse (luckily) so we helped her to move it off the road, and onto the pavement to await recovery.

I didn't have the heart to tell her of my experiences with the VAG DSG - she didn't need to hear it, she was naturally a bit upset - but it seems that the VAG DSG still has some unresolved quality and reliability issues...

16. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Look on the bright side - almost certainly will be fixed under warranty. That DSG stuff outside warranty causes a great disturbance in the wallet !