Off-Topic Any sky engineers on the forum?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Duc de Pommfrit, Wednesday 7th May, 2014.

1. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I have a Samsung Sky+ box and cannot get Dolby output via hdmi cable. Is it possible?

I have seen this done on other units.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    what Tele you got fella, some Tele will do and some will refuse . use the optical out to an amp for the best sound personally.

3. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

I have a new Sony which has dolby digital which works great from blueray, but input from Sky is just stereo even though the program is in dolby. My optical output is to my Arcam surround amp, but don't want to use that for every day TV use.

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Do you need to alter an output setting on the Samsung unit, or an input on the Sony ?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    mate personally think you will struggle as the Sky boxes over HDMI the sound output is PCM-stereo, they will not do DD . Sony being sony and the makers of blueray they have done the encoding to do DD over HDMI.

Have you considred one of these mate toslink switch automatic

6. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

Just been searching other forums and it needs a software update to enable this.
    On the sound option you should be able to change output from optical to hdmi for dolby digital. Will have to stick with stereo for watching countdown!

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    cool would like to know if that works.:Niceone:

8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry to piggyback on your thread mate but I've got a quick Q sort of similar to yours - If a home cinema is connected to a TV via HDMI ARC (compatible cable too) will SCART input sources to the telly output the sound via the home cinema system?

9. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    They should do, but they will only go to the AV Receiver in their native format via the HDMI unless your tv has built in processor to change it prior to sending it down to the receiver.

10. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Would the audio still be ouput if the TV hasn't got a processor (what is the processor for? - its low quality satellite transmission so 5.1 doesn't matter)?

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    @Chunkylover53 the whole idea by HDMI ARC is to enable audio passthrough for devices that do not have their own separate audio output (think phones, small Android sticks), I would assume that it's limited to source matching (whatever the codec, AC3, DTS etc.) directly from another HDMI input. I cannot see a television having a DAC to encode the analog signal to digital, or software to transcode between audio codecs.

SCART can just be split into analog RCA then passed to a amplifier with little issue anyway.

12. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Looks like normal Sony TV's can encode analog to digital etc, all inputs output sound on home cinema perfectly. Pretty glad because we got the TV in a hurry whilst Sony still used their own (with Samsung) S-PVA panels.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  13. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

Still not got this sorted
    Blueray
    image.

Play station
    image.

And yet Sky is only in stereo
    image.

14. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Does the Sky box support HDMI ARC? Some of the newer boxes have an update to send Dolby through HDMI.

15. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Googled it and found this
    "The Sky+HD boxes that will get this update are the 4F31 (Amstrad DRX890 or DRX895) types which will benefit from a phased rollout over the next few months and the 4F30 (Amstrad DRX780), 9730 (Samsung) or 9F30 (Pace) models which will get the updates later in the autumn."

Sky+HD update adds Dolby Digital 5.1 over HDMI support - Recombu

16. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

I have the Samsung box so will have to wait a bit longer to get my update.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  18. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

I have tried two updates to no effect, will have to wait for the system to update itself

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will be watching this thread for sure :Niceone: