Off-Topic Any SSD harddrive users?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by SayamaAccord, Friday 20th Jul, 2012.

1. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Anyone fitted one?

If so how is it?

2. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Re: Solid state drive

I have a friend who fitted one and he tells me that boot up speed was very fast but after that any speed gains weren`t that noticeable if all your doing is surfing, word processing, etc

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Solid state drive

Agree with dave, boot up speed can be a matter of seconds with SSDs, but it all depends what processors your using as well to make the most of the benefits of the SSD.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi guys,

I am reusing one one old laptops as garage machine, I will have my the entire workshop manuals collection, HDS software and other Honda software installed on it.

I am looking at SSD for the first time and may stretch to a 250 GB one provided I know which one to go for? Anyone using a SSD 2.5" SATA hard drive can you recommend me a good make and would love to hear your reviews too.

Cheers

5. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    The laptop probably will only have support for SATA-2, so any of the new SSD drives that support SATA-3 will perform faster than your laptop can handle anyway. Obviously they are backwards compatible so that is not a problem.

I suggest you look at the Samsung 830 series, as I have bough a 128GB one not a long time ago, after reading many reviews and tests. It is the best scoring SSD out there, even though the speeds they quote are lower than those of OCZ, Kingston, etc. The other makers simply do not deliver those speeds in real life, and they are only theoretical. Samsung actually beats them all.

Just search for reviews of the 830 series (any size) compared with other brands. Obviously there will be sites where it scores better and some where it scores worse. But I've had it, and at a reduced price back then, and my Win 7 is much much faster.

Of course the memory and CPU might then become a bottleneck in your laptop, as your Hard Drive will be pretty much maxing out the data bus.

AnandTech - The Samsung SSD 830 Review

Ichiban likes this.
  6. maksym Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just get crucial ssd they are affordable and fast. I placed one in my Mac literally no boot up time.

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks guys I am tempted to get this one just purely for the price. OCZ 120GB Solid 3 SSD - 2.5" SATA-III - Read.. | Ebuyer.com

The laptop won't be used a lot but only when I am working on the cars, so it won't be hammered a lot with constant i/o or used for gaming just want fast response times for an ageing laptop.
    Just need to buy a new battery and some more ram and it will be as good as the new core i7 cpus.

anyone see a cheapo SSD let me know please

8. maksym Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's a great price. In states I bought 250gb for $159.99 crucial sat 3. But Idk if you can get it in UK.

9. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I want to increase the capacity of the wife's MacBook so going to change it for an ssd.
    It'll be interesting to see if its quicker than my MacBook Pro afterwards.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: Any SSD harddriver users?

It will be quick bud have a search for SSD boot times on youtube there are loads of benchmark clips . seeing is believing.

11. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I was going to say that a friend has just fitted an SSD to his laptop and apart from boot time (its lightning fast) there isn`t much difference in general operation

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Dave could you find out which one did you mate go for please?

13. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I know for sure it was a Mushkin and about 120Gb but I`ll try and get hold of him to be sure

14. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

CJ I`ve found out the SSD my mate bought was a Mushkin chronos 120Gb. He said he researched them for a while and thought that the controller (don`t know what that is) on the Mushkin was better. Anyway, he was happy then with it and he`s still very happy with it

Ichiban likes this.
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks matey I will start my research.

16. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

17. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I agree. When I was thinking about buying an SSD I was tempted by the Samsung but in the end I decided not to bother spending my money just for a quicker boot up speed.

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham

That's my opinion too, you gain a quicker boot up but general running isn't much different, well at least not a big enough improvement to justify me getting on.

I would tempted to try on in my CarPC .. one day.

19. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

I have to disagree slightly.

Boot up speed is the first thing most of us will notice.

In fact, any operation on the operating system that involves reading/writing data onto the system drive is significantly faster than on a standard hdd.

As a test, go to control panel and add/remove programs on a mechanical HDD. It will take a long time, and hdd grinding, to fill up the list of everything installed. On SSD I get the list pretty much instant. And this is observable anywhere within the system.

Of course different ways we use our computers will dictate how much performance you can gain from SSD. And we will see more of that, as at the moment most people that use them in desktops, have a second, much larger mechanical hard drive for data storage.

Any gamer would appreciate installing EVE Online, or WoW, or whatnot, on a SSD rather than mechanical drive. But these would fill it up too quickly, so most people avoid it. People using computers for work are already benefiting from SSD as are applications installed on it just load up in seconds.