Off-Topic Any teachers out there??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Malibu, Friday 10th May, 2013.

1. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Could do with some advice if we have any teachers out there - need a professional opinion as there is a war going on between my daughter & her teacher-

2. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I may be able to help, but I left teaching many moons ago. What is the problem? PM me if it's sensitive.

3. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I personally think its a personality clash between them & partly that her teacher doesn't like girls!! But I am getting a bit fed up of my daughter crying because of her teacher as its all the time she seems to be in trouble & this has never been an issue up until going into his class . Of course I am only getting one version of events but think I need to have this out with him & the head mistress

4. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    You need to speak with the head teacher and the teacher involved. Of course, your daughter may not be entirely blameless. If you can't resolve the situation you can escalate it to the governing body and then to the LEA.

5. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

No I agree - she won't be blameless - she is no angel , but when I last spoke to her teacher at parents evening I got the impression he didn't like her as he told me she was bad mannered & rude ..neither of which she is & both of which I disputed. Headstrong yes , opinionated yes, cheeky yes. I asked him to give me an example of her being rude & he said when I ask her to turn round , she does but then 10 minutes later she turns round again ! Now please tell me if you think I am wrong but I don't think this is being rude or bad mannered??

6. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Helen, that's not bad mannered or rude.
    Sounds like a totally normal pupil, just an attention thing.
    Ask to speak to her key stage manager, unless of course he is the key stage manager for her age group.
    My mum has just retired from teaching as a primary school teacher all her life.
    I'll give her shout tomorrow and run it past her and see what she thinks, and come back to you.
    She was a key stage leader for (KS2 I think) quite a long time. There hasn't been many scenarios she hasn't come across.

7. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

thanks rob, that would be great , I am not one of those mums who thinks she has the perfect angel whose child can do no wrong... But I did say to her teacher at the time I didn't think his example meant she was either of those things & that whilst I wasn't there at the time, so couldn't see for myself, she wasn't brought up to be rude or bad mannered , furthermore it had never been an issue in either of her last 4 years. He said it was rude in his eyes & what was I going to do about it??? -anyway ... I want to hear his version of events again but won't let this rest as she is genuinely frightened of what he is going to do. I think there are definate issues to be addressed- at the back of my mind I am thinking bully!!!- I know we all have teachers we don't like/vice versa but at the end of the day she is a child & he is the example(supposedly)

8. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The school will be very aware if there has been problems before with him.
    Is he new to the school?

9. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

No he isn't new to the school.. But from what I am told (again only have Maya's word) other mums have complained!!anyway a trip to school is in order & I am sure all will be revealed

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Helen, sounds like you got this on the cards anyway but speak to the other mums, see what their viewpoint is. If Maya is right and the other mums have already complained, this gives you more ammunition when you go to see the head yourself.

My neighbours are a family of teachers, I can also run it by them if you like.

What year is Maya in ?

11. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Helen, just spoke to mum.
    She used to be Key Stage 1 manager. This problem crops up a lot. Her advice is to contact the school secretary and ask to make an appointment to see Maya's key stage manager.
    Not the head as it will progress up the chain if it needs to.
    The most important thing is to go in without apportioning blame to anybody. If you do start blaming the teacher, they'll just presume you're another moaning parent, which they get loads of.
    Speak to the KS manager and say there is an obvious problem between Maya and this teacher and what can WE do about it. Let them know she is very unhappy about coming to school and it hadn't been a problem before.
    She also said if there is a problem with this teacher the school will be very aware of it.
    The most important thing is to make it clear to the school you want to work with them to resolve the problem. Also you can find out who is the KS manager on the school website.
    If you want any more info, let me know and I'll ask her.

12. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi Speedy- Any advice is very welcome- Maya is in class 4

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Rob

Most useful info- Your mum is right, we need to be mindful not to play the blame game- and I realise we have only heard one side of the story so far- But we need to get this sorted- not sure they have key stage managers at her school - Will check out the school website now

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Rob

Most useful info- Your mum is right, we need to be mindful not to play the blame game- and I realise we have only heard one side of the story so far- But we need to get this sorted- not sure they have key stage managers at her school - Will check out the school website now

13. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi Helen, spoke to mum again if there are not key stage managers they're just called something else. Presuming this a normal primary school. The school will sort it, it's in their interest to do so.

14. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I am certain they will as we mean business! Lol...

15. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

So meeting with head teacher booked for next Monday... Lets see what develops!!

16. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Spoke with head teacher who stated that I didn't have a rude or bad mannered daughter- what she did have was an unprofessional teacher!! Wow I wasn't expecting that

SpeedyGee likes this.
  17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Result ! Hopefully, she'll actually do something about it.
    I guess all the parents complaining made her realise where the issue was.

18. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

She said she was going to be having words with him after class as totally unacceptable & even if there was a clash of personality between them , he should never let that be portrayed to maya.
    she also said that Maya was exactly where she should be re SATS & wouldn't be if she was disruptive as he suggested

AccordCU2 likes this.
  19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I so wanted to go into school today and have my time with the head, but had this top honcho out of London coming up north to meet me and I had to weigh up my options.

Luckily Helen didn't need the help she took care of it :Smile:.. I had prepped myself for the onslaught.

AccordCU2 likes this.
  20. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oddly enough when I told my mum about this so called teacher, the first thing she commented on was his unprofessional behaviour. Especially with regards to his comment, what are you going to do about it.

Ichiban likes this.