Bikes Anybody recommend a good bike?

Discussion in 'Sports Tourer' started by craighere, Wednesday 5th Mar, 2014.

1. craighere Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just thought I'd kick off the motorbike section by asking if anyone could recommend a good Honda bike? Now, I'm working on a budget here, of £1500 so we're talking pre-loved.

I've had a bandit for a few years, but I fancy a change and having fallen in love with Honda cars I thought I'd consider a Honda bike. Sports tourer probably, but not necessarily. Does anyone know a good deal about older Honda bikes who could recommend a good place to start? I've got a well-equipped garage and I'm not afraid to do my own servicing / repairs (don't know much, but will try anything for a laugh) so I'm not too worried about miles.

Thanks guys,

Craig

2. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    I would maybe look at a VFR750, I think the newer 800 will be out of your price range, I love the honda v-4 engine, Decent power at higher revs and some grunt at lower revs, pretty bullet proof too.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would agree with Phil here Craig you been accustomed to a bandit and you want something with zing the VTEC VFR will be a superb choice but it’s expensive. VFR750 is a sweet ride finding one in presentable nick can be hard but not impossible. I on the other hand have come back to motorcycling after a break of 13 years and gone for a 250cc CBR250R and trying to make it into a mini Moto3 replica I have been a busy bee modding over the winter period.

I have seen this bike on eBay its practically brand new and the owner is desperate to sell it look at mileage and look at the asking price it’s a steal.. You can’t get that bike anywhere at that price if the 250 does it for you, just a thought http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBR...1978706?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item2a37a1d352

4. lefty Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I would agree as above, the VFR is always tops on owners polls, a work colleague has one and he loves it, I think he paid about £1800 for it. Now is the best time to get a cheap bike, another few months and they will go up in price for the summer.
    Good luck! and happy hunting!

Ichiban likes this.
  5. craighere Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys, great suggestions. I love the styling of the VFR and there is definitely a few in the right price range needing some TLC.
    Ichiban; funny you suggested a 250 'cos that's what I'd been thinking of going for but I was worried that the step down from a 600 would be hard to make! The one you linked to is immaculate, but alas I'd have a hard time justifying to the wife where our holiday money has all gone!

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The CBR250r one cylinder bike prolonged motorway trip will expose its weakness and its inability to power out of situation with ease. You need that punchy midrange and low down torque to motor along.
    The CBR250r is great on fuel and superb on twisty bends just a little joy to ride sub 70MPH

7. kev600rr Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kev Yorkshire
    Just to through in another option, what about a CBR 600 F. Will be just as comfy as the bandit but the handling and power to me was far better.

8. Maintenanceman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland Henri Pälkäne
  9. craighere Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The X-11 is a gorgeous bike, and they really seem to hold their value well. What's the general opinion out there regarding naked bike vs a fairing? Does it make a difference unless you're doing a load of motorway miles?

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would say naked bikes look cool faring obviously are more streamlined but some hard core riders like the no compromise minimalistic look.. It depend on which idealogical fence you sit on. I like both but you don't get bikes to go on motorways it the back roads where the fun is..:Icecream:

A bike is a bike you need to be comfortable with it forget what others say do this do that .. what fits goes:Wink:

Princepugh likes this.
  11. syzsounds Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Vfr 750 ...Just like mine.
    Pure Honda family now ! IMG_1160.JPG

12. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom David Sheffield
    Sorry, old thread I know but I’ve only just realised there’s a bike section here on HK!

The VFR has been my favourite motorcycle for as long as I can remember knowing about it with that Colin Edwards RC45 lineage, although I think it did get a little bit lardy when it turned the 800cc corner.

Inconceivably, I chose to buy the Honda VTR-1000 v-twin instead, which is a decision I still regret as the riding position was painfully horrid, the tall engine made the bike difficult to turn in and the questionable suspension never really gave you the confidence to push on and make the best of that storming v-twin motor.

I’d have a VFR tomorrow if I could but for the moment I’ve had to downgrade to a cheap to run ‘thumper’ – the much loved Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM. It’s no tourer and is gutless above 60 mph but is pure motorcycle enjoyment and a blast on B-roads. If you’ve never tried a supermoto style machine, I’d recommend you do so before stumping up for a ‘proper bike’ – they’re great fun and dead easy to work on. Check the KTM and Husky ranges, there are some awesome 400-450cc twin/single cylinder machines out there as well as the bigger capacity manic thumpers. You know it makes sense! :Niceone:

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    12301668_1517918291839824_8838437541720696781_n.

HondaHeritage likes this.
  14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I always loved the Fireblade, used to hitch a ride on one when my GSRX600 was being repaired.

Ichiban likes this.
  15. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've got a hankering to get one of these.... Africa Twin.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Check out this video....

Ichiban likes this.
  16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  17. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry bud missed this I have updated the link the last link was duff. Enjoy the new Honda masterpiece.