Body, Paint & Styling anyone else clean their car today?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Dan, Sunday 13th Mar, 2016.

1. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dan Oldbury
    It was a very nice warm sunny day here in the Midlands today, so I made a special trip to Asda to get new sponge, soap, cloths and polish.

Very enjoyable afternoon - it has been many years since I bothered to clean my own car lol!

Anyone else feel the inclination today?

I want to polish it on the next warm sunny day we have. Is it better to get a clear /all purpose polish like standard t-cut or a coloured polish?

FirstHonda likes this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I gave both ours a quick wash, was a good day for it for sure, didn't take any pics though :Frown:

I'd say you want to at least clay your car first before considering polishing.

Nighthawk likes this.
  3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Aye i did,spent most of the day cleaning damn thing.
    Beautiful day for it.

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If you polish her before claying, you will grind the 'dirt' into the paintwork. Honda paint is quite soft and easy to mark.

Wash her and then clay her. Once that is done, (and dry) you can see what the scratches and swirls are like on the clear coat. From that you can decide what level of compound is needed.

The compounds can be applied by hand, but you'll get a much better result with a polisher.

Have a look at this thread @wanner69 posted a couple of years ago.

5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I snow foamed both of mine today but never got round to polishing them unfortunately as the noisy kids wanted to play fight with me.

Thats an issue teaching your kids martial arts yourself...they constantly want to fight me as a result.:Laughing:

6. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Lincs
    My car is very much looked after its still dealer serviced mm the DOT and it's almost 8 years old now, however due to living in a very rural area all mine gets is a good wash and am occasional polish I just don't have the inclination to spend a day doing all the detailing stuff some of you do to me it's a car albeit a very nice one tho.

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

It was definitely the day for it @Dan :Smile:

In terms of how to wash, there are a few threads over in the 'detailing' section. (There are loads more than these, covering just about everything your OCD will ever need..:Aghast:)

In terms of which product to use for the finish, I'd steer well clear of T-Cut if I were you!! WELL CLEAR!! JUST DON'T DO IT! Clay bar is the way to go after a wash, then try something like Meguairs Gold Class or NXT which is an all in one polish and wax product available widely from Halfords and other high street retailers.

http://hondakarma.com/threads/do-i-need-to-claybar.21213/live

http://hondakarma.com/threads/your-favourite-products.11767/live

http://hondakarma.com/threads/the-products-that-time-forgot.12409/live

http://hondakarma.com/threads/cleaning-day-is-finally-here.11155/live

http://hondakarma.com/threads/tyre-dressings-swissvax-vs-meguiars.11268/live

http://hondakarma.com/threads/quality-wax.5902/live

legend-ary and Nels like this.
  8. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dan Oldbury
    I can't believe it.

Came out of work to the car and there is now a fine layer of dust on it. Bloody hell i thought, one day and its dirty again.

Walk round to the passenger side and what is there to greet me down the side of the car? Only a messy bird shit.

:brickwall::hunter:

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

So now you have a great excuse to get outside and clean her all over again, just like many of us do.:Wink:

Nighthawk and FirstHonda like this.
  10. Pilot Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Daniel London
    Heh ironically yes, but my Accord is usually clean most of the time inside...it's kind of easy to keep it tidy unlike the other cars I had, and the outside well...I prefer to pay the fiver for others to wash it for me :Tongue:

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Alas, black paintwork shows all the swirls and scratches that they leave. You're much safer with Blueish Silver on your CL7.
    Also, I do like cleaning the cars.

12. Pilot Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Daniel London
    Yeah you're right about the colour, if I don't wash the car for 2 months it won't even look that bad, where as black yeah...1 rain shower, few drives and that's it.
    I do enjoy cleaning inside, outside is just not worth the time, I'd enjoy it I guess if I had like a more private drive way, but where I live it's not that convenient to wash it myself apart from just vacuum it.

Nels likes this.
  13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

We can only do what time and the facilities allow us to. Credit to you for keeping the inside clean. Not everybody does.

14. Nighthawk Guest

Washed my car today and decided to film it for everone to admire

Its that time of the morning again and im lost in the world of youtube

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I worry about you sometimes !! :Grin:

Nighthawk likes this.
  16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I want to know what @Nighthawk had to search for to find that...:Fear:

In comparison, I found this.

Not great technique, sponges rather than mitts, and only one bucket. That WAS what everybody else noticed, right?

:Blushing:

Duc de Pommfrit and Nighthawk like this.
  17. Nighthawk Guest

I worry about myself a lot.

No comment

It was however a long long night

18. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ On my way home yesterday, I had to drive over some new tarmac where they were repairing potholes. It was like driving on a wet road!

I've had a look this morning...drivers side lower front looks like this. Doh! :thumbdown:

Good job I've got plenty of tar remover...:Laughing:

IMG_0481.

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Damn ! Surely that road section wasn't ready to be driven on yet, they should have closed it off.

20. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

They were doing it with traffic driving around them in both directions, and using a stop/go board occasionally. I'm not impressed...:hairout: