General Anyone know much about Kia/Hyundai's?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by exec, Wednesday 31st Dec, 2014.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Probably a long shot, but the Kia forums don't seem to be much active...

Anyone here familiar with Kia's or Hyundai engines? My dad bought a 2010 Kia Carens few months back and it is due a service, but I don't know much about them and what parts to get!

Found some basic specs for torque etc, they seem similar to Honda, I guess cos they are alu engines too, but unsure over what kind of spark plugs to get, coolant etc? I was actually thinking of just buying some OEM Honda coolant and washers and go with denso spark plugs.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    One thing that has stuck in my mind about Kia is the Sportage and how weak the A pillars are apparently. Not really helpful though I'm afraid.

3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Is it. To be honest I am impressed with this Kia so far, nice car, with lots of nice features and ergonomics, good build quality and all, although feels no way as tight or plush as a Honda, also under the bonnet everything is so nicely laid out, I am actually looking f orward to working on this, the oil filter for example is right in front when you open the bonnet and the sump drain plug can be reached without having to jack up the car and sit underneath, then the pollen filter, its behind the glove box like a lot of car but you can just unclip and drop the glove box to expose the pollen filter compartment. Why couldn't some of these Honda's be like this?!

4. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    exec likes this.
  5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Pretty similar to the CR-V and Civic and agree that it's so much easier having the oil filter right there at the top. Same deal with the pollen filter in the CR-V and you only have to release a small hatch to get to the drain bolt.

I quite like these look of the Sportage but I've never been inside one. I also like the look of the new Nissan XTrail.

I think Kia and Hyundia have come a long way but the safety thing would worry me especially with an SUV considering they are more prone to ending up on their roof!

exec likes this.
  6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Cheers Andy for the link, ended up buying a few parts from ECP, well the main ones anyway, oil was 5w30 and went for the Denso plugs just hope they are actually gapped from factory for it also this engine doesn't need iridium plugs as I went for the cheaper option! The car actually came with the owners manual, but compared to the Honda one its useless as it doesn't have much information or instructions on how to change these, don't even know where the fuel filter is either although judging from the parts picture it looks like a cartridge type so should be easy to fit I hope. :BavarianTractor:

Arctic thats good to here, i guess newer cars must have a more easier and logical placement of service parts! and agreed the new batch of Kia's and Hyundai's are very nice cars, both in the looks department and quality, they have come a long way in a short space of time, I really like the look of the Kia Optima, but they are still really bland cars to drive with little character, but as A-B cars they really good value in the used car market. My dad's Kia is slightly older generation but it's nicely put together bar a few cheap plastics here and there, the only thing I can complain about is the suspension can be a bit crashy, but I think were a bit spoilt by the superb ride in our Accords, props to double wishbones. :Drinks:

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    To be fair my CR-V head a lot of hard plastics which appears to have been addressed in the 4th Generation. But fortunately it works out better for me as I don't think the soft touch stuff would last long against my son's plastic sword lol

8. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

To be fair without knowing Kia,s that well, I would think it like most , if you do not know the history to well maybe a coolant change would not hurt seeing its four years old, 5 /30 oil should be fine, brake fluid change, if the car has a cable opp clutch check it's set up,some need a clearance set so play is on the pedal,would think its hydraulic anyway. Usual lights ,levels,washer fluid to prevent freezing, wipers, tyres and usual pads check and basically your there,plugs ,filters etc

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^I've been really impressed by the interior quality of the Kia Optima, less so of the Sportage. Good equipment, prices and warranty though, the Korean manufacturers have come a long way since I had a Hyundai Accent in 1996 - which was a very good, reliable car I should add - albeit with a very poor interior and patchy paint finish.

Where I have found the Kia (Optima & Sportage) let themselves down is in the drive - quite poor, especially the ride and steering - miles behind the Accord in every way. I'm sure they'll get it right though, given the strides they've made in other areas - and then some of the Japanese brands will have an even bigger problem.

10. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Kia's 7 year warranty started sometime in 2010 - not sure which month of manufacture though. Worth checking if you haven't done so already.

11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The car has full service history, only 4yo and got or had 19k miles on it when bought, last service was 14k, its now on 24k, i'm surprised the intervals are so long, but i assume more modern cars are like that.

It does also come with the 7 year warranty, but as it's being used as a Taxi it's limited to 3 years I believe under certain conditions.

Agree with you there FirstHonda, the Jap marques have something to think about as the Korean can challenge their hegemony in certain parts of the world where they rule the roost like America, Asia, Australia etc.

12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    So bought most of the parts, one annoying thing is I bought a Mann Oil filter from ECP for like £3 and decided later that I would get the original Oil filter that I fould on ebay for a tenner, turns out they are pretty much the same as the original one is made by Mann, everything is the same! Oh well.

On a side note, does anyone know if Honda's sump washers and other washers and O rings are made in any special way? Reason I ask is I want to buy some generic washers and o rings to use on this car, but not sure if they will be suitable. I'm under the impression there is no difference.

13. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Toyota,s run 10,000 mile service or 12 months whichever is first, I think some are on 12,000 miles, VAG and others possible more.
    It may pay to also do a gearbox oil change as this is often neglected.:Smile:

exec likes this.
  14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    On the warranty point, just because Kia offer a 7 year warranty it doesn't mean that their cars are better. It's just that the accountants did the maths and said right we are happy to spend so much of revenue on warranty claims in exchange for a larger market share. I'm not sure I'm allowed to quote the exact figures but they are very high.

Honda however, are actually the bench setters (I know this as it's plastered all over the wall at work) and have the least warranty spend, better quality means less warranty expenditure. Honda just don't know how to flaunt their strengths.

exec likes this.
  15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've always believed that a warranty is only as good as the company providing it. Just speaking generally as I can't comment about Hyundai. My warranty with the Mondeo I had was useless, they would either find a way of making sure nothing was covered, or charge ridiculous diagnosis fees to claw the costs back.

16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I forgot about the AE86, would love to own of these alongside the Celica GT4's, my favorite rally cars.