Off-Topic Anyone using a Galaxy S3 GT-I9300

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by legend-ary, Monday 28th Dec, 2015.

1. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Just wanted to know if anyone is still using a Samsung Galaxy S3?

Why? Because I want to know is it just my one or they all are dog slow now. Due to various reasons I got a used one to replace my Nokia Lumia 1020 and in the beginning it was fine but now is so damn slow I can go and make tea while it tries to load gallery photos. If anyone is still using one, can you tell me how is your experience? Mine is running Android 4.3. There is no SD card, has plenty of space, have uninstalled most apps and have resetted it multiple times .. nothing seems to cure the slowness.

I know I can root it to make it faster but I would lose access to banking apps so don't want to. The damn thing doens't even break! I have thrown it away so many times in frustration (while losing in StickCricket because it hangs at just the right moment and I get out :Tongue:) but it is unbreakable so I have no reason to get a replacement. lol

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Is this on a fresh install of OS ? Or with lots of apps installed.

3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

with both. On a fresh reset, its ok but as soon as I go above a basic set of apps (Whatsapp, Facebook, Instagram) are installed the phone just starts dragging its heels.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    S3 came out with Android 4.0.4 so 4.3 is probably stretching it a bit.

5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Yeah that is probably it. But I do see many people using it so I assumed they must be pretty ok with the usability. My one is downright unusable.

6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    You want to know why its slow? Because its Android. A pile of poo of an OS, without fanning any flames, Android has plenty of merits, but as an OS it is total utter garbage, they all go slow eventually as the OS is not very well structured or optimized, just a nasty Java based platform sitting ontop of a linux kernel, you also need a supercomputer to run the bloody thing.

You should have stuck with Windows OS, by the best structured and optimised OS, it would probably even run super fast on a 10 year old smartphone!

7. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I wish I could have but I was burned so many times by MS it wasn't even funny. When I had Omnia 7/Lumia 800 they said oh they won't be upgraded to 8. Got a 925/1020 and then they said oh they won't get WP10! I was a die hard fan and made a lot of people switch but in the end even I don't trust them anymore. I must admit 1020's camera even though was super advanced was symbolically slow.

As flawed as Android is, it can do things WP cannot, not because of any fault of its own but because the apps just aren't there. Lloyds banking app was nothing more than a webpage in a wrapper. No nationwide app, Instagram had no video upload.. the list was endless. I switched to Android for practicality reason. My wife's S5 works like a dream even though it went from 4.x to 5.0. I know I am using a 3 year old phone so can't have the same speed but I can't be this bad or is it. lol
    - - - Updated - - -
    I must add, I have looked at getting 435 or something as I have a total budget of £100 but I will lose access to a lot of apps.

exec and SpeedyGee like this.
  8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ You sure? Most of their phones getting !in 10 upgrades, my old 620 got all the upgrades, I bought a 640 few weeks back though (was £92) and that will be getting Win 10 upgrade too.

Agreed though Android can do some cool things that a locked down OS like Windows or iOS can't, and app support is better. I actually thought about getting Android phone, but I couldn't bring myself to spend £500 on a handset and Windows does everything I need and does it near perfect.

9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

The newish handsets will get the WP10 however Lumia1020 with its 2GB was such a disaster after 8.1 Update 1 that I don't want to imagine what app load times will be on 10.

10. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Interesting observation:
    I was about to give the phone another reset and in the process of taking backup of sms, I deleted unwanted conversations so went from 60-70 threads to 15 and that has made a noticeable difference on the speed of the phone. Its not blazing by any definition but its not making me stare at screen thinking the last button I pressed didn't register probably. I'll see if it continues to be responsive

11. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I changed the battery on my S3 and it suddenly sped back up so I'd try that. I've a note 4 now.

legend-ary likes this.