Announcement AOC has moved from shared hosting to a dedicated server

Discussion in 'Club Announcements & News' started by Ichiban, Sunday 20th Oct, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Guys,

We are nearly two years old and over this period we have grown and our site needed to move away from a restricted hosting to the best hosting option.

Thursday we made the decision to move and have been working flat out 12 hours a day to get this done. We have moved pretty seamlessly with limited downtime.There are some issues we have encountered with some random errors and mobile apps are not working we are aware of this and are working on them.

On a brighter note you would have seem faster page response and better browsing experience.However we are not stopping there AOC will be completely overhauled and a full rewrite in on the way for better optimisation from the ground up :Smile:

So please bear with us in the interim period it will be worth it in the long run.

if members see any issue please inset the link and the error message you receive so we can look at it.

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Caffeine and nicotine donations welcome.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You forgot the matchsticks.:Wink:

4. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Newton Abbot
    Well done, it will make a huge difference.
    I have a DS and wouldn't go back to shared hosting.

Ichiban likes this.
  5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Dedicated Server? The AOC's in the Cloud

So as many of you are aware, the AOC moved last week onto a dedicated server, it joined a small group of other medium-to-low traffic business sites and immediately server stability issues arose. Although we tweaked the settings, updated the site's backend, those issues still didn't disappear. We appeared to have ample processing power and memory, all reporting low usage, one thing that wasn't accounted for was the about of disk access availability required to run a large active community. This caused huge process queues which ended up in sporadic periods of downtime until everything was caught up once again.

There's the possibility that there's still other gremlins hiding within the AOC's code that contributed to this, hopefully not. I personally have only just been getting familiar with it over the past week. Our worst case scenario if issues do arise is rebuilding the site and template around the existing database/posts. But either way, we're not going anywhere and it's only going to get better.

So the server has been retired, and as you read this, we're virtualising our server in the cloud.

What does this mean in layman's terms?
    We can scale and grow as we see fit, more processing power, memory, disk space as and when it's needed.

There's big plans on the horizon for the AOC, the platform's down to grow.

Over the coming days, if you notice any issues while using the site, note them down in the feedback section and we'll investigate further.

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 1st Sep, 2014
    SpeedyGee likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: Dedicated Server? The AOC's in the Cloud

It has been a double whammy effect the PHP code was so backward when we moved we encountered major issues, did a quick upgrade to the latest VB version to get working with 5.4 PHP code.

Then to get massive hard disk I/O at peak teams was just not ideal on a dedicated server to find the raid card failed, so another move was on the card.

It will get better from now on! we now have an active and passive node too :Wink:

7. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Keep up the good work folks!
    All the best with your expansion plans...

Ichiban likes this.
  8. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    May I reiterate Cred's comments. Exceptionally well done, what a fabulous forum. One of the best I've seen on the web. A great deal of work put in by the mods etc. much appreciated - thanks.

SpeedyGee, DeviateDefiant and Ichiban like this.
  9. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Newton Abbot
    This isn't a Dedicated Server, it's still Shared Hosting.

A Dedicated Server is purely a server for your website/forum and nobody else.

I am surprised that you hadn't kept your PHP version up to date as this is imperative for any site.
    Having created, owned and run Forums I do understand the complexities of what is involved but as with all transitions nothing is ever that smooth.
    Since having learnt the hard way I now have a managed server because it makes it easier when upgrades etc are required, the Hosting Company I use do this for me which saves a whole heap of time and sleepless nights. :Smile:

10. Boglost Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

To all those suffering sleep deprivation and bloodshot orbs, many thanks for all the hard work.

DeviateDefiant and SpeedyGee like this.
  11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

While I agree with the sentiment, moving from a shared "few quid" package on a grid service amongst thousands of other sites, to a top-end server serving only a handful of sites - it's as good as. The server is "dedicated" to a small group of sites which I maintain. These sites are all fairly low traffic, and most importantly static or heavily cached. The AOC uses the most resources by a long shot.

No hosting company bumps up customer's PHP versions in a live environment without prior approval - that's a huge recipe for disaster. If the previous shared host had done this then the AOC would have faced all the problems I've spent the past week fixing. The best unmanaged hosts out there offer a new version of PHP on the server that the client can toggle if they so wish. Just so happened my server was running everything up-to-date and I wasn't going to install an older version of PHP alongside the newer just to keep an outdated vBulletin ticking over. I patched up the AOC in a development environment then replaced the existing site a few days before we migrated to the cloud.

Neil likes this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    VB version 4.2.1 and prior didnt need to run on the latest PHP code infact we were running ver 5.3.18 , VB version 4.2.2 will need the latest code so it was a double whammy of moving and upgrading.

A necessary bullet to bite

13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Does this mean that the system will work with AOL???
    Not that I'm bothered I'm moving to talk talk in two weeks time!!!

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    AOL browser no mate, you need to reformat your machine and get rid of that browser hijacker.

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Use Firefox or Chrome Micky :Thumbup: